* org-set-property (at point)? Save-excursion seems not to work
@ 2022-04-25  8:13 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-25  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I tried

(defun my-org-set-property ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (org-set-property nil nil)))

Or

(defun my-org-set-property ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (call-interactively #'org-set-property)))

But it does not help, org-set-property sets always a new property at the
end of the property list.

Any idea what to do (besides touching the function itself)

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* [the culprit] (was: org-set-property (at point)? Save-excursion seems not to work)
@ 2022-04-25 12:36 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-25 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "UB" == Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
> I tried

> (defun my-org-set-property ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (org-set-property nil nil)))

> Or

> (defun my-org-set-property ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (call-interactively #'org-set-property)))

> But it does not help, org-set-property sets always a new property at the
> end of the property list.

> Any idea what to do (besides touching the function itself)

It seems that the culprit is the function
org-entry-put
which always puts a new entry at the end of the property section.

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [the culprit] (was: org-set-property (at point)? Save-excursion seems not to work)
@ 2022-04-26  4:20   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-26  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> But it does not help, org-set-property sets always a new property at the
>> end of the property list.
>
>> Any idea what to do (besides touching the function itself)
>

> It seems that the culprit is the function
> org-entry-put
> which always puts a new entry at the end of the property section.

You are right, org-set-property adds the property to the end of property
drawer. I do not think that its docstring suggests anything different.

Do you want to propose a new feature request? I guess patches are welcome.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [the culprit]
@ 2022-04-26  6:42     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-26  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "IR" == Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>> But it does not help, org-set-property sets always a new property at the
>>> end of the property list.
>>
>>> Any idea what to do (besides touching the function itself)
>>

>> It seems that the culprit is the function
>> org-entry-put
>> which always puts a new entry at the end of the property section.

> You are right, org-set-property adds the property to the end of property
> drawer. I do not think that its docstring suggests anything different.

> Do you want to propose a new feature request? I guess patches are welcome.

The question is what would be the best solution?

    1. Change the behavior for org-entry-put

    2. Or just for org-set-property.

If it is the first option, then maybe a variable should be added
org-set-property-at-line say, what could be t or nil.

Recently I use drawers that have a lot of properties, that I want a bit
organised, but if new properties are added always at the end, that
complicates things. What do others think (I don't have the feeling that
large drawers are very common).

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [the culprit]
@ 2022-04-26 13:08       ` John Kitchin
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: John Kitchin @ 2022-04-26 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

This seems like something that could (should?) go in a personal config, as
a custom function, or advice.

You could, for example do something like this (lightly tested)

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun my-put (property value here)
  (interactive (list nil nil current-prefix-arg))
  (if (null here)
      (org-set-property property value)
    (let* ((property (or property (org-read-property-name)))
  (value (or value (org-read-property-value property))))
      (save-excursion
(beginning-of-line)
(search-forward ":")
(backward-char)
(insert (format ":%s: %s\n" property value))))))
#+END_SRC

if you call it as M-x my-put, it just uses org-set-property.

If you call it as C-u M-x my-put, it inserts the property before the point.
It does not check you are in a property drawer, which could be a good idea.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2022-04-26 13:48         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-26 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This seems like something that could (should?) go in a personal config, as
> a custom function, or advice.

If it does not cost performance, I do not see any problem with adding
DWIM behaviour if point is inside drawer when calling org-set-property.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [the culprit]
@ 2022-04-27 13:12         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-27 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "JK" == John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This seems like something that could (should?) go in a personal config, as
> a custom function, or advice.

> You could, for example do something like this (lightly tested)

> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (defun my-put (property value here)
>   (interactive (list nil nil current-prefix-arg))
>   (if (null here)
>       (org-set-property property value)
>     (let* ((property (or property (org-read-property-name)))
>   (value (or value (org-read-property-value property))))
>       (save-excursion
> (beginning-of-line)
> (search-forward ":")
> (backward-char)
> (insert (format ":%s: %s\n" property value))))))
> #+END_SRC

Thanks very much. I will test it and report back as soon as possible.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [the culprit]
@ 2022-04-27 18:49         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-04-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)