* BUG: (org-insert-subheading) fails when on true begin of line (first star) of heading
@ 2023-05-11  8:06 Michael Dauer
From: Michael Dauer @ 2023-05-11  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Example
* h1
<>** h11

brings:
* h1
*** <>
** h11

expected:
* h1
** h11
*** <>

Org mode version 9.7-pre (release_9.6.4-327-gf81ba4

* Re: BUG: (org-insert-subheading) fails when on true begin of line (first star) of heading
@ 2023-05-11 10:15 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-11 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Dauer <mick.dauer@gmail.com> writes:

> Example
> * h1
> <>** h11
>
> brings:
> * h1
> *** <>
> ** h11

This is expected. `org-insert-subheading' inherits what
`org-insert-heading' does:

    Insert a new heading or an item with the same depth at point.

    If point is at the beginning of a heading, insert a new heading
    or a new headline above the current one.  When at the beginning
    of a regular line of text, turn it into a heading.

    If point is in the middle of a line, split it and create a new
    headline with the text in the current line after point (see
    org-M-RET-may-split-line on how to modify this behavior).  As
    a special case, on a headline, splitting can only happen on the
    title itself.  E.g., this excludes breaking stars or tags.

    With a C-u prefix, set org-insert-heading-respect-content to
    a non-nil value for the duration of the command.  This forces the
    insertion of a heading after the current subtree, independently
    on the location of point.

    With a C-u C-u prefix, insert the heading at the end of the tree
    above the current heading.  For example, if point is within a
    2nd-level heading, then it will insert a 2nd-level heading at
    the end of the 1st-level parent subtree.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: BUG: (org-insert-subheading) fails when on true begin of line (first star) of heading
@ 2023-05-12 10:27   ` Michael Dauer
From: Michael Dauer @ 2023-05-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I understand that it's behavior is derived from org-insert-heading. But IMO
that does not make sense for this function, advice all that it is taking
the current indentation level as basis to devote the new heading as child
of the previous heading. It e.g. created a "orphan" grand child instead of
a child.

Not important for me, just strangely non-intuitive.

@ 2023-05-13 10:17     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-13 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Dauer <mick.dauer@gmail.com> writes:

> I understand that it's behavior is derived from org-insert-heading. But IMO
> that does not make sense for this function, advice all that it is taking
> the current indentation level as basis to devote the new heading as child
> of the previous heading. It e.g. created a "orphan" grand child instead of
> a child.

I tend to agree.
Would you be interested to provide a patch?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: BUG: (org-insert-subheading) fails when on true begin of line (first star) of heading
@ 2024-02-10 16:01       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-10 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Michael Dauer <mick.dauer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I understand that it's behavior is derived from org-insert-heading. But IMO
>> that does not make sense for this function, advice all that it is taking
>> the current indentation level as basis to devote the new heading as child
>> of the previous heading. It e.g. created a "orphan" grand child instead of
>> a child.
>
> I tend to agree.

Fixed, on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=cbfe1354b