* Retaking AUTO for \usepackage{fontenc}
@ 2024-02-12  6:36 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-12  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

HI again,

I'm trying to put together all pieces for this before I actually write code.

After looking at the current state, I would be lenient to include an
additional optional property to `org-latex-language-alist' I would directly
call `:fontenc'.

\usepackage[AUTO]{fontenc}
would then take it to replace AUTO. If this property is not present, the
default value would be T1.

Opinions?

Thx, /PA
--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Retaking AUTO for \usepackage{fontenc}
@ 2024-02-12 14:01 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to put together all pieces for this before I actually write code.
>
> After looking at the current state, I would be lenient to include an
> additional optional property to `org-latex-language-alist' I would directly
> call `:fontenc'.
>
> \usepackage[AUTO]{fontenc}
> would then take it to replace AUTO. If this property is not present, the
> default value would be T1.
>
> Opinions?

Sounds reasonable.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Retaking AUTO for \usepackage{fontenc}
@ 2024-02-13  7:51   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org Mode List

Next step, @all, please help me filling up the list of codings vs.
languages. I currently am somehow confident of the following:

greek -> LGR
russian -> T2A

Thanks for contribs, /PA

--

@ 2024-02-13 11:57     ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez writes:

> Hi,
>
> Next step, @all, please help me filling up the list of codings vs.
> languages. I currently am somehow confident of the following:
>
> greek -> LGR
> russian -> T2A

The information is in the encguide PDF (you can run texdoc fontenc or
texdoc encguide). You should look especially at section 2.3 256 glyph
encodings. I don't know if some languages require more than one
encoding. Cyrillic appears to be T2A, T2B and T2C. T4 is for

"The African Latin fonts contain in their lower half (0–127) the same
characters as the European Latin (T1-encoded) Fonts, while in their
upper half (128–255) they contain letters and symbols for African
languages that use extended Latin alphabets."

etc.

But I can't find a simpler list anywhere.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía

* Re: Retaking AUTO for \usepackage{fontenc}
@ 2024-02-13 16:47       ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-02-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, Org Mode List

Hi Juan,

neither do I, This is why I'm asking for people to tell me what they use ;-)

best, /PA

@ 2024-02-13 17:22         ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, Org Mode List

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez writes:

> neither do I, This is why I'm asking for people to tell me what they
> use ;-)

The babel ini files (why hadn't I thought of this before :-): look in the babel ini files:

<your-texmf-dist-root>/tex/generic/babel/locale/

There you have all the information by language. For example, in
babel-fr.ini:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------

; This file is part of babel. For further details see:
;   https://www.ctan.org/pkg/babel
; Data has been collected mainly from the following sources:
; * babel language styles (license LPPL):
;   https://www.ctan.org/pkg/babel-contrib
; * Common Locale Data Repository (license Unicode):
;   http://cldr.unicode.org/
;   http://unicode.org/copyright.html

[identification]
charset = utf8
version = 0.981
date = 2022-05-14
name.local = français
name.english = French
name.babel = french
name.polyglossia = french
tag.bcp47 = fr
language.tag.bcp47 = fr
tag.bcp47.likely = fr-Latn-FR
tag.opentype = FRA
script.name = Latin
script.tag.bcp47 = Latn
script.tag.opentype = latn
level = 1
encodings = T1 OT1 LY1 <==========================================
derivate = no
-------------------------------------------------------------->8

--

@ 2024-02-14 14:55           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez, Org Mode List

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez writes:
>
>> neither do I, This is why I'm asking for people to tell me what they
>> use ;-)
>
> The babel ini files (why hadn't I thought of this before :-): look in the babel ini files:

May it be that babel automatically loads fontenc with appropriate parameters?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Retaking AUTO for \usepackage{fontenc}
@ 2024-02-14 22:03             ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-14 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez, Org Mode List

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez writes:
>>
>>> neither do I, This is why I'm asking for people to tell me what they
>>> use ;-)
>>
>> The babel ini files (why hadn't I thought of this before :-): look in the babel ini files:
>
> May it be that babel automatically loads fontenc with appropriate parameters?

AFAIK, I'm afraid it's not possible. What is possible is to be able to
select a language in the middle of the document, without declaring it
before. But you need to load fontenc and the appropriate fontencodings.
According to the babel manual (p. 8), this functionality is only limited
to Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Cherokee, Armenian, and
Georgian.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía