* [BABEL] literate Lisp games development questions
@ 2010-07-02 12:46 David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2010-07-02 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello orgmoders. We on freenode#lispgames are having the month-long 2010
International Lisp Games Expo, and I'd like to apply literate programming
principles, using org-babel, to Lisp game development.

I have several reasons for doing this. The resources for a given game object
or entity may be scattered across multiple files. There can be many frames
of animation (PNG files), methods defined, functions, sounds (.WAV), music
(OGG), extensive in-game narrative text, and PAK data (my own format), all
to describe one game object. Manually linking and navigating among these
many files and pieces of data has become very time consuming as my asset
library grows to hundreds of different objects, and re-using assets between
projects becomes difficult just because I have to hunt for all the files and
snippets of text. The XE2 game engine source is also becoming harder to
manage as it grows because of some of the same issues.

My short term goal is to write a Common Lisp game for the XE2 engine, but
with all the code and text in a single .ORG file (with many links to
external png, wav, etc as needed.) With a custom tangle setup, it would be
easy to export the .lisp and .pak files my engine requires. Not only would
the whole project be organized hierarchically, but I am using tags like
these to organize data by "aspects":

 Presentation Player Structure Environment Controls Combat Enemies Planning
Story

Each game object could have its own org heading, with subheads and links to
code, png files with inline display, some editable properties data for
tweaking. I could add commands to open one of the PNGs in Gimp, play a
sound, and so on.

I have gotten some very basic support working, where you can execute Common
Lisp blocks via slime, and basic tangling works as well.

See  http://github.com/dto/org-babel-lisp/  for my very basic code. Feel
free to use this, I already have FSF papers, and I will keep you updated on
progress.

The document I'm working on is at http://dto.github.com/notebook/void.html
My idea is to make a coherent hierarchical design document for the entire
game (story, graphics, sound, gameplay) and then embed/link all the required
resources/code, bit by bit, filing each link/block in its right place, and
tagging everything so i can navigate and search.

And now some questions...

 1. the html output fontification of source blocks is nice. the pop-out
editing of the blocks is nice too. However, can I get the syntax
highlighting to show up INLINE in the begin-src block?

2. has anyone been following efforts to prettify org-mode constructs? i
would love to be able to replace certain things (like all the #+BEGIN_SRC
lines) with something graphical, like a tiny icon with a horizontal rule.
anyone done anything in this area?

* Re: [BABEL] literate Lisp games development questions
@ 2010-07-02 22:33 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-07-02 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

<...>

Hi David,

That sounds fun, and I look forward to looking at it, when I have more
time for fun.

>  1. the html output fontification of source blocks is nice. the pop-out
> editing of the blocks is nice too. However, can I get the syntax
> highlighting to show up INLINE in the begin-src block?

I believe the consensus on this list is still that the existing projects
in that direction don't currently work well for doing this.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MuMaMo

I had a probably terrible idea that one could fake something a bit like
this by removing the mode lines between split windows. You could even
fake continuity of buffer locations... (Incidentally, I've been enjoying
recently using emacs full screen without the mode line (who needs it all
the time?); when I get a chance I want to write a minor mode that does
away with the mode line by default. Obviously no menu or scroll bars
either.)

> 2. has anyone been following efforts to prettify org-mode constructs? i
> would love to be able to replace certain things (like all the #+BEGIN_SRC
> lines) with something graphical, like a tiny icon with a horizontal rule.
> anyone done anything in this area?

Yes, I started doing this. Nicolas Girard did all the ground work in his
org-icons project. I started work on adding icons for src blocks in the
branch named "dan". I can confirm that ruby blocks look quite pretty
when #+begin_src ruby is replaced by an image of a ruby, although
unfortunately I still don't know any ruby.

http://github.com/ngirard/org-icons/tree/dan

I believe Nicolas would be happy to have other people help out with that
project. There were a few reorganizations we wanted to do to make it fit
better with Org.

Best wishes,

Dan

* Re: [BABEL] literate Lisp games development questions
@ 2010-07-02 22:48 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-02 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

"David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:

[...]
> I have gotten some very basic support working, where you can execute Common
> Lisp blocks via slime, and basic tangling works as well.
>
> See  http://github.com/dto/org-babel-lisp/  for my very basic code. Feel
> free to use this, I already have FSF papers, and I will keep you updated on
> progress.

Very cool,

please do let us know when you think it's ready to be folded into Babel.
There will be some minor changes required to catch up with the very
latest version of Babel (e.g. `org-babel-add-interpreter' and
`org-babel-tangle-langs') have both been removed, but nothing major.

Best of luck with the lisp games! -- Eric

* Re: [BABEL] literate Lisp games development questions
@ 2010-07-03 21:34   ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2010-07-03 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dan

I looked at your notes in the icons repo, perhaps we can come up with a
brief org file that is the official community standard for the icon themes.

@ 2010-07-04 13:34     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-07-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Dan
>
> I looked at your notes in the icons repo, perhaps we can come up with a
> brief org file that is the official community standard for the icon themes.

Hi David,

Absolutely. We could have an org-icons Worg page which contains the
current icon images. (I'm not likely to do that very soon so please do
go ahead.)

Dan

p.s. Just glanced at the threads from last year on this subject. Sorry,
I had forgotten that you have already had hands-on involvement in the
org-icons movement.