* Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 14:10 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-07 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 14:16 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Did you recently start using MobileOrg?
I think it uses them (by default) to keep track of
headlines.

See the MobileOrg part of the manual on how to turn
them off if that is indeed the issue.

On 09/07/2010 09:10 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 14:30   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-07 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 14:34   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Did you recently start using MobileOrg?

Or maybe you exported to iCal.

org-icalendar.el also sets :ID: to tasks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 14:40     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On 07/09/10 16:16, Erik Iverson wrote:
>> Did you recently start using MobileOrg?
>
> No - I only inserted a link, and around that time the :ID:s appeared. I
> deleted them all manually, but they came back.

I suspect you need this:

(set org-link-to-org-use-id nil)

See the variable docstring:

,----[ org-link-to-org-use-id is a variable defined in `org.el'. ]

`----

--
 Bastien

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 18:42       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On 07/09/10 16:40, Bastien wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 07/09/10 16:16, Erik Iverson wrote:
>>> Did you recently start using MobileOrg?
>>
>> No - I only inserted a link, and around that time the :ID:s appeared. I
>> deleted them all manually, but they came back.
>
> I suspect you need this:
>
> (set org-link-to-org-use-id nil)

That sounds like the most likely solution - thanks.

Now I just have to find an easy way to delete all the :PROPERTIES blocks.

Cheers,

Rainer

> See the variable docstring:
>
> ,----[ org-link-to-org-use-id is a variable defined in `org.el'. ]
> | Its value is create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-id
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Non-nil means storing a link to an Org file will use entry IDs.
> |
> | Note that before this variable is even considered, org-id must be loaded,
> | so please customize `org-modules' and turn it on.
> |
> | The variable can have the following values:
> |
> | t     Create an ID if needed to make a link to the current entry.
> |
> | create-if-interactive
> |       If `org-store-link' is called directly (interactively, as a user
> |       command), do create an ID to support the link.  But when doing the
> |       job for remember, only use the ID if it already exists.  The
> |       purpose of this setting is to avoid proliferation of unwanted
> |       IDs, just because you happen to be in an Org file when you
> |       call `org-remember' that automatically and preemptively
> |       creates a link.  If you do want to get an ID link in a remember
> |       template to an entry not having an ID, create it first by
> |       explicitly creating a link to it, using `C-c C-l' first.
> |
> | create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-id
> |       Like create-if-interactive, but do not create an ID if there is
> |       a CUSTOM_ID property defined in the entry.  This is the default.
> |
> | use-existing
> |       Use existing ID, do not create one.
> |
> | nil   Never use an ID to make a link, instead link using a text search for
> |       the headline text.
> `----

- --
2010-07-28 12:01:00,545 INFO  [main] davmail  - DavMail Gateway
3.6.6-1032 listening on SMTP port 1025 POP port 1110 IMAP port 1143
CALDAV port 1080 LDAP port 1389
2010-07-28 12:03:47,463 INFO  [main] davmail  - DavMail Gateway
3.6.6-1032 listening on SMTP port 1025 POP port 1110 IMAP port 1143
CALDAV port 1080 LDAP port 1389
2010-07-28 12:03:48,089 DEBUG [CheckRelease] davmail.DavGateway  -
DavMail released version: 3.6.6-1032

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-07 18:42     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-12 15:30         ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-12 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Rainer M Krug wrote:

>On 07/09/10 16:40, Bastien wrote:
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

>>> No - I only inserted a link, and around that time the :ID:s appeared. I
>>> deleted them all manually, but they came back.
>>
>> I suspect you need this:
>>
>> (set org-link-to-org-use-id nil)

>That sounds like the most likely solution - thanks.

>Now I just have to find an easy way to delete all the :PROPERTIES blocks.

This one should do the trick:

(defun dmj:org:remove-empty-propert-drawers ()
  "*Remove all empty property drawers in current file."
  (interactive)
  (unless (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
    (error "You need to turn on Org mode for this function."))
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (re-search-forward ":PROPERTIES:" nil t)
      (save-excursion
	(org-remove-empty-drawer-at "PROPERTIES" (match-beginning 0))))))

If called interactively in an Org mode buffer it searches for the
string ":PROPERTIES:" and tells Org to remove the drawer if it is
empty.  Just used it to get rid of empty CLOCK drawers -- but beware:
It is a very stupid function, i.e. it does not check if the
string :PROPERTIES: is actually a property drawer or not.

HTH,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Why :ID: properties?
@ 2010-09-19 21:49           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-19 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>>Now I just have to find an easy way to delete all the :PROPERTIES blocks.
>
> This one should do the trick:
>
> (defun dmj:org:remove-empty-propert-drawers ()
>   "*Remove all empty property drawers in current file."
>   (interactive)
>   (unless (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
>     (error "You need to turn on Org mode for this function."))
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (while (re-search-forward ":PROPERTIES:" nil t)
>       (save-excursion
> 	(org-remove-empty-drawer-at "PROPERTIES" (match-beginning 0))))))

I added an entry about this in org-hacks.org - thanks!

--
 Bastien