* collaborating between org-mode and MS Word users
@ 2012-12-27 13:33 Julian Burgos
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Julian Burgos @ 2012-12-27 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

I use org-mode to draft papers and reports, using embedded R code and
LaTex snippets.  It is a fantastic tool.  But sometimes I have to
collaborate with less enlighted colleagues who use MS Word.  For now I am
exporting my document to odt, and from there to MS word.  Then, when I get
the manuscript back with comments and edits (usually using the “track
changes” option), I transcribe them to a new new node in my org-mode
document.  This is usually a slow and error-prone process that involves
cutting and pasting text from the edited MS word document back into the
org-mode document, trying to avoid pasting over the LaTex and R snippets.
When I am done, I end up with a structure that looks something like this.

#+TITLE:  My manuscript
* Version 1
** Introduction
** Methods .....
* Version 2
** Introduction
** Methods
..etc.

Of course, I could easily keep each version in a separate org mode file.

I would like to get some suggestions or tips on how to improve this
workflow.  For example:
- Is there a better way to have a non-org mode use to edit/correct a
org-mode document and then bring back the corrections to an org-mode
document?
- What is the best way to compare org-mode nodes/branches (like in the
above example the Version 1 and Version 2 nodes?).  Can I use ediff within
an org-mode file?  Or should I keep separate versions on separate
documents?

All recommendations will be welcomed!

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute