* Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-18 20:29 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-11-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing

C-c C-e C-s H O

However, I get this error:

apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))

The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.

Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?

Thank you!

-pd

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-18 20:35 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-11-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:

> For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing
>
> C-c C-e C-s H O
>
> However, I get this error:
>
> apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))
>
> The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.
>
> Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?

Would you kindly provide a minimal working example? Perhaps create a
dummy tree and indicate an analogous subtree export target so that the
list can try to reproduce. Perhaps someone will catch from the error
what the problem is, but having something to try is extremely helpful.
Since my subtree export works, I'm at a loss for how to diagnose why
yours doesn't.

Even better would be a minimal configuration file that also replicates
your issue. In this way, users can replicate your exact setup with:

- emacs -Q
- M-x load-file RET ~/path/to/your/provided/min-config
- navigate to subtree you've indicated
- C-c C-e C-s H O

Make sense? This should be standard for any error you encounter sent
to the list, as a lot of these are likely going to come down to a
nuance in your actual file, your emacs config, or possible an actual
bug (in which case M-x org-version is also very helpful).

Thanks,
John

> Thank you!
>
> -pd

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-18 20:43 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-11-18 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
>>
>> For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing
>>
>> C-c C-e C-s H O
>>
>> However, I get this error:
>>
>> apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))
>>
>> The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.
>>
>> Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?
>
> Would you kindly provide a minimal working example? Perhaps create a
> dummy tree and indicate an analogous subtree export target so that the
> list can try to reproduce. Perhaps someone will catch from the error
> what the problem is, but having something to try is extremely helpful.
> Since my subtree export works, I'm at a loss for how to diagnose why
> yours doesn't.

Thanks, John. I think the problem lies with the #+title: option. If it's present, as in the short example below, then I get the
error. If not, it seems to work ok.

+------------test.org------
#+title: Here's a document title

* NOTE h1

* TODO h1 also

** NOTE h2

* Another subtree

Here's some stuff I want to export to HTML.

+------------------------

Thanks,
-pd

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-18 20:51   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-11-18 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
>>
>> For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing
>>
>> C-c C-e C-s H O
>>
>> However, I get this error:
>>
>> apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))
>>
>> The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.
>>
>> Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?
>
> Would you kindly provide a minimal working example? Perhaps create a
> dummy tree and indicate an analogous subtree export target so that the
> list can try to reproduce. Perhaps someone will catch from the error
> what the problem is, but having something to try is extremely helpful.
> Since my subtree export works, I'm at a loss for how to diagnose why
> yours doesn't.
>
> Even better would be a minimal configuration file that also replicates
> your issue. In this way, users can replicate your exact setup with:
>
> - emacs -Q
> - M-x load-file RET ~/path/to/your/provided/min-config
> - navigate to subtree you've indicated
> - C-c C-e C-s H O
>
> Make sense? This should be standard for any error you encounter sent
> to the list, as a lot of these are likely going to come down to a
> nuance in your actual file, your emacs config, or possible an actual
> bug (in which case M-x org-version is also very helpful).

You should also provide a backtrace (with uncompiled code) if possible.
See

 (info "(org) Feedback")

and, in particular, the subsection "How to create a useful backtrace".

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-18 22:30 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-11-18 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing
>>>
>>> C-c C-e C-s H O
>>>
>>> However, I get this error:
>>>
>>> apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))
>>>
>>> The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.
>>>
>>> Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?
>>
>> Would you kindly provide a minimal working example? Perhaps create a
>> dummy tree and indicate an analogous subtree export target so that the
>> list can try to reproduce. Perhaps someone will catch from the error
>> what the problem is, but having something to try is extremely helpful.
>> Since my subtree export works, I'm at a loss for how to diagnose why
>> yours doesn't.
>

> Thanks, John. I think the problem lies with the #+title: option. If it's present, as in the short example below, then I get the
> error. If not, it seems to work ok.
>
> +------------test.org------
> #+title: Here's a document title
>
> * NOTE h1
>
> * TODO h1 also
>
> ** NOTE h2
>
> * Another subtree
>
> Here's some stuff I want to export to HTML.
>
> +------------------------

Is the attached what you'd expect? It works for me, and no issues with
the title (which I don't think will apply since you're just exporting
the subtree, but could be wrong).

John

> Thanks,
> -pd

[-- Attachment #2: 2015-11-18_162910.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24578 bytes --]

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-19  1:20   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-11-19  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015, at 05:30 PM, John Hendy wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
> > John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Would you kindly provide a minimal working example? Perhaps create a
> >> dummy tree and indicate an analogous subtree export target so that the
> >> list can try to reproduce. Perhaps someone will catch from the error
> >> what the problem is, but having something to try is extremely helpful.
> >> Since my subtree export works, I'm at a loss for how to diagnose why
> >> yours doesn't.
> >

> > Thanks, John. I think the problem lies with the #+title: option. If it's present, as in the short example below, then I get the
> > error. If not, it seems to work ok.
> >
> > +------------test.org------
> > #+title: Here's a document title
> >
> > * NOTE h1
> >
> > * TODO h1 also
> >
> > ** NOTE h2
> >
> > * Another subtree
> >
> > Here's some stuff I want to export to HTML.
> >
> > +------------------------
> >

> Is the attached what you'd expect? It works for me, and no issues with
> the title (which I don't think will apply since you're just exporting
> the subtree, but could be wrong).
>

> John
>
> > Thanks,
> > -pd
> >
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + 2015-11-18_162910.png
>   33k (image/png)

That looks right, but, as I said, it doesn't work for me if the #+title:
option is included.

  Peter Davis
  www.techcurmudgeon.com
  www.timebums.com

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-19 13:32 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-11-19 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing
>>>
>>> C-c C-e C-s H O
>>>
>>> However, I get this error:
>>>
>>> apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))
>>>
>>> The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.
>>>
>>> Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?
>
> You should also provide a backtrace (with uncompiled code) if possible.
> See
>
>  (info "(org) Feedback")
>
> and, in particular, the subsection "How to create a useful backtrace".

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping this would be simple to answer. I don't really have hours of time to keep stopping and re-starting
emacs with uncompiled org-mode files, with minimal startup, etc. If I get a chance, I'll post the details. Meanwhile, I'll live
without this feature.

Thank you!

-pd

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-19 13:51 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-11-19 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For the first time, I'm trying to export just a single subtree of my overall document, by typing
>>>
>>> C-c C-e C-s H O
>>>
>>> However, I get this error:
>>>
>>> apply: Wrong type argument: listp, #("Details, November 2015" 0 22 (:parent (#0)))
>>>
>>> The portion in quotes is the overall title of my document.
>>>
>>> Should this work? Is there something I need to do differently?
>>

> You should also provide a backtrace (with uncompiled code) if possible.
> See
>
>  (info "(org) Feedback")
>
> and, in particular, the subsection "How to create a useful backtrace".

Thanks very much, John and Nick. I didn't realize it was so easy to reload with uncompiled lisp. I tried this, but the export worked
with the uncompiled code! No error, so no debug backtrace.

Thanks,
-pd

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-19 13:55 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-11-19 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Thanks for the tips. I was hoping this would be simple to answer. I
> don't really have hours of time to keep stopping and re-starting emacs
> with uncompiled org-mode files, with minimal startup, etc. If I get a
> chance, I'll post the details. Meanwhile, I'll live without this
> feature.

I understand the sentiment, but you will find out eventuallly that it
takes only a few minutes to do all that: the descriptions seem to make
it long and difficult but once you get down to brass tacks, it turns out
to be pretty simple ("it is easier done than said"). In particular, you
don't need to stop/start your current emacs: you can start a new one as
John described specially for this problem, do what you need to do to
reproduce the problem and kill it afterwards. It does take a little time
to come up with a minimal init file that sets up things, but there have
been examples posted on the list that you can adapt to your situation -
once you have one, just keep it around and modify it slightly for each
new situation.

In any case, the trouble here is that it does not seem to be
reproducible: at first sight at least, it seems to be related to your
particular setup, so nobody else can debug it.

And one more thing, now that I remember it: always provide versions
of your OS, emacs and org-mode. It is possible that the particular
version you are using exhibits the problem but earlier or later ones
don't. Of cource, if you update regularly, that is less of a concern,
but if you provide the version, then other people can try it with
that particular version (thanks to git, it's easy).

--
Nick

* Re: Exporting a subtree
@ 2015-11-19 14:39 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-11-19 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Thanks very much, John and Nick. I didn't realize it was so easy to
> reload with uncompiled lisp. I tried this, but the export worked with
> the uncompiled code! No error, so no debug backtrace.

Oh, lovely! Everybody loves heisenbugs...

You might try just recompiling your org mode then and see if it goes
away.

--
Nick

* Re: Exporting a subtree