* Asynchronous mobileorg push/pull
@ 2015-11-19 17:06 Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2015-11-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've started using MobileOrg to do capturing and simple Org tasks on my
phone.  Although it seems to work well enough so far, running
org-mobile-push and org-mobile-pull synchronously locks up Emacs for an
unacceptably long period of time.

Does anyone have any asynchronous solutions for MobileOrg syncing?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Asynchronous mobileorg push/pull
@ 2015-11-23 14:33 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2015-11-23 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Allen Li writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've started using MobileOrg to do capturing and simple Org tasks on my
> phone.  Although it seems to work well enough so far, running
> org-mobile-push and org-mobile-pull synchronously locks up Emacs for an
> unacceptably long period of time.
>
> Does anyone have any asynchronous solutions for MobileOrg syncing?

You can just use a cronjob like:

*/10  *  *  *  *  emacs --batch --load ~/.emacs --eval "(org-mobile-pull)" --eval "(org-mobile-push)"

This executes the whole process in the background with another instance of
emacs running in batch-mode.

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies

* Re: Asynchronous mobileorg push/pull
@ 2015-11-29 17:12   ` Bingo UV
From: Bingo UV @ 2015-11-29 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 15:33:23 +0100
Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:

> You can just use a cronjob like:
>
> */10  *  *  *  *  emacs --batch --load ~/.emacs --eval
> "(org-mobile-pull)" --eval "(org-mobile-push)"
>
> This executes the whole process in the background with another
> instance of emacs running in batch-mode.
>
> Sven

The problem with this is that the other instance of emacs writes
org files and the main instance of emacs then warns quite rightly about
files on the disk changing outside of that emacs. Isn't there the
danger of losing data with this mechanism? Or am I missing some simple
defense against such data loss?

org-mobile-push could have been a read-only operation on the org
files, but it creates the PROPERTIES drawer if missing. org-mobile-pull
obviously writes into org files. So my fear is that in the worst case
both of these can cause data loss. Does that make sense?

thanks