* [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
@ 2016-05-26 12:19 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I finally did the grunt job and removed all XEmacs compatibility in the
code base (development branch).

On the Emacs side, the following functions are now considered obsolete
and may trigger innocuous compilation warnings:

- `org-add-hook',
- `org-decompose-region',
- `org-detach-overlay',
- `org-file-equal-p',
- `org-float-time',
- `org-indent-line-to',
- `org-indent-to-column',
- `org-looking-at-p',
- `org-looking-back',
- `org-match-string-no-properties',
- `org-propertize',
- `org-re',
- `org-select-frame-set-input-focus'

The next step is to remove compatibility code for Emacsen older than
24.3 release, if anyone feels like spending some time on it during
a rainy day.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

* Re: [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
@ 2016-05-26 12:24 ` Georgiy Tugai
From: Georgiy Tugai @ 2016-05-26 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I may ask, was there any particular reason for ditching XEmacs
compatibility?

I have no intentions of starting an "edition war" and pre-emptively ask
for forgiveness should this inadvertently occur.

On 26 May, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally did the grunt job and removed all XEmacs compatibility in the
> code base (development branch).
>
> On the Emacs side, the following functions are now considered obsolete
> and may trigger innocuous compilation warnings:
>
> - `org-add-hook',
> - `org-decompose-region',
> - `org-detach-overlay',
> - `org-file-equal-p',
> - `org-float-time',
> - `org-indent-line-to',
> - `org-indent-to-column',
> - `org-looking-at-p',
> - `org-looking-back',
> - `org-match-string-no-properties',
> - `org-propertize',
> - `org-re',
> - `org-select-frame-set-input-focus'
>
> The next step is to remove compatibility code for Emacsen older than
> 24.3 release, if anyone feels like spending some time on it during
> a rainy day.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
@ 2016-05-26 12:45   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-26 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Georgiy Tugai <georgiy.tugai@gmail.com> writes:

> If I may ask, was there any particular reason for ditching XEmacs
> compatibility?

I didn't ditch XEmacs compatibility. Org hadn't compiled on XEmacs for
a long time already. Org was broken on XEmacs, and no one volunteered to
solve it. Barely anyone even reported it.

Non-working compatibility code was lingering around and was not
consistently used in all commits. I just cleaned up that mess. At least,
it doesn't make things worse on XEmacs.

We decided to drop XEmacs support some time ago. You may want to search
the mailing list archives about it. No one had took action about it
until now.

I have the feeling that it is not possible anymore to port Org to
XEmacs. However, I am not opposed to someone doing the job, as long as
it introduces only a limited set of changes in the code base.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
@ 2016-05-26 15:55     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-05-26 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

   > Hello,
   > Georgiy Tugai <georgiy.tugai@gmail.com> writes:

   >> If I may ask, was there any particular reason for ditching XEmacs
   >> compatibility?

   > I didn't ditch XEmacs compatibility. Org hadn't compiled on XEmacs for
   > a long time already. Org was broken on XEmacs, and no one volunteered to
   > solve it. Barely anyone even reported it.

This is not entirely true. I got org 8.0.X to work with Xemacs 21.5.X
and Michael Sperber also got to work, I think an even  more recent version
of org mode, but I do not remember the details. It is true however that
a lot of  functionalities  were missing compared to GNU emacs 25.1 which I use
currently.

It also true that no Xemacs hacker really was willing to help out the
compatibility problems (so removing compatibility code is not a big
surprise and in fact  it has happened before with gnus, and as it is most
likely  to happen with auctex in the near future). But given the
email exchange on Xemacs beta in October last year about closing the
whole Xemacs project, this comes barely as a surprise.

Uwe Brauer

* Re: g [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
@ 2016-05-26 20:00 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-05-26 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I finally did the grunt job and removed all XEmacs compatibility in the
> code base (development branch).
>
> On the Emacs side, the following functions are now considered obsolete
> and may trigger innocuous compilation warnings:
>
> - `org-add-hook',
> - `org-decompose-region',
> - `org-detach-overlay',
> - `org-file-equal-p',
> - `org-float-time',
> - `org-indent-line-to',
> - `org-indent-to-column',
> - `org-looking-at-p',
> - `org-looking-back',
> - `org-match-string-no-properties',
> - `org-propertize',
> - `org-re',
> - `org-select-frame-set-input-focus'
>
> The next step is to remove compatibility code for Emacsen older than
> 24.3 release, if anyone feels like spending some time on it during
> a rainy day.

Nice!

There seems to be a lot of clutter in the font code as well, also to befit
quite dated versions of Emacs.

I have started cleaning it up as well, but let’s see if it matures enough.
The goal is to make every face :inherit something else and to have common
faces for all headline elements etc.

Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che leggete questo.