* org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-05 12:09 Amit Tendulkar
From: Amit Tendulkar @ 2016-06-05 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I need a way to get notifications at the time of starting a task or at
the start of the meeting (i.e. the SCHEDULED timestamp). Currently I
know of only getting notifications for the DEADLINE timestamp. However,
it will be more productive for me to get notification to tell me to
start working on a task (or attend a meeting).

Is there a way or a nice workaround? One way I could think of is define
as many notification durations as the time ranges existing in my Org
file. But that seems too much work.

Thanks,
Amit

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-05 13:36 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2016-06-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: amit_tendulkar

Hi Amit,

> I need a way to get notifications at the time of starting a task or at
> the start of the meeting (i.e. the SCHEDULED timestamp). Currently I
> know of only getting notifications for the DEADLINE timestamp. However,
> it will be more productive for me to get notification to tell me to
> start working on a task (or attend a meeting).

Have you tried "Appointment reminders"?  See (info "(org) Weekly/daily
agenda").

HTH,
--
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-06 17:53   ` Amit Tendulkar
From: Amit Tendulkar @ 2016-06-06 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Marco. Yes, appointment reminders will work for me. Any idea how to
configure them in such a way that I get popups? Popups are helpful
especially when my focus is not on Emacs. Or even when I am connected to
a remote desktop (say through Citrix).

Regards,
Amit

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Amit,
>
>> I need a way to get notifications at the time of starting a task or at
>> the start of the meeting (i.e. the SCHEDULED timestamp). Currently I
>> know of only getting notifications for the DEADLINE timestamp. However,
>> it will be more productive for me to get notification to tell me to
>> start working on a task (or attend a meeting).
>
> Have you tried "Appointment reminders"?  See (info "(org) Weekly/daily
> agenda").
>

> HTH,

DISCLAIMER
==========

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-07  6:08   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2016-06-07  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> I need a way to get notifications at the time of starting a task or at
>>> the start of the meeting (i.e. the SCHEDULED timestamp). Currently I
>>> know of only getting notifications for the DEADLINE timestamp. However,
>>> it will be more productive for me to get notification to tell me to
>>> start working on a task (or attend a meeting).
>>
>> Have you tried "Appointment reminders"?  See (info "(org) Weekly/daily
>> agenda").
>
> Thanks Marco. Yes, appointment reminders will work for me. Any idea how to
> configure them in such a way that I get popups? Popups are helpful
> especially when my focus is not on Emacs. Or even when I am connected to
> a remote desktop (say through Citrix).

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html
looks promising.

hth,
--

@ 2016-06-07  7:24     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2016-06-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html
> looks promising.

This is what I use:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/notify.el

Charles

--
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
(Linus Torvalds about the superiority of Linux on the Amsterdam

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-08  1:57       ` Amit Tendulkar
From: Amit Tendulkar @ 2016-06-08  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html
>> looks promising.
>
> This is what I use:
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/notify.el

I put notify.el in my load path and added the following lines in my init
file.

(autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
(appt-activate 1)
(org-agenda-to-appt)

Still I am getting only inline intimations for the appointments. Am I
missing something?

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-08 15:01         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-06-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Amit Tendulkar <amit_tendulkar@persistent.com> writes:

> Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:
>
>> Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html
>>> looks promising.
>>
>> This is what I use:
>>
>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/notify.el
>
> I put notify.el in my load path and added the following lines in my init
> file.
>
> (autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
> (appt-activate 1)
> (org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> Still I am getting only inline intimations for the appointments. Am I
> missing something?

The commentary at the top of notify.el says:

,----
| ;; This provides a single function, `notify', that will produce a notify
| ;; pop-up via D-Bus, libnotify, simple message or growl.
| ;; To use, just put (autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
| ;;  in your init file.  You may override default chosen notification
| ;;  method by assigning `notify-method' to one of 'notify-via-dbus
| ;; 'notify-via-libnotify or 'notify-via-message
`----

Does that help? You probably need to set notify-method to something
reasonable for your platform. BTW, completely untested.

There are also some relevant answers in the FAQ:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Appointments/Diary

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#automatic-reminders

--
Nick

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-09  0:35         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2016-06-09  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Amit Tendulkar <amit_tendulkar@persistent.com> writes:

Hi Amit:

> I put notify.el in my load path and added the following lines in my init
> file.
>
> (autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
> (appt-activate 1)
> (org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> Still I am getting only inline intimations for the appointments. Am I
> missing something?

Sorry, I set this up a long time ago, so I gave you the wrong info,
After searching my configuration files, I found this:

;; Update appt list and dbus appt notification
; Get appointments for today
(defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (interactive)
  (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
  (let ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))    ;; will be automatic in org 5.23
        (org-agenda-to-appt)))

; Run once, activate and schedule refresh
(my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)
(run-at-time "00:01" nil 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)

; 5 minute warnings
(setq appt-message-warning-time 15)
(setq appt-display-interval 5)

; Update appt each time agenda opened.
(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)

; Setup zenify, we tell appt to use window, and replace default function
(setq appt-display-format 'window)
(setq appt-disp-window-function (function my-appt-disp-window))

(defun my-appt-disp-window (min-to-app new-time msg)
  (save-window-excursion
    (shell-command
     (concat "/home/hoor/bin/org-appt-notify '" msg "'  '" min-to-app "'&")
     nil nil)
    )
  )

and here is the content of "org-appt-notify"

#!/bin/sh
SOUND="/home/hoor/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Sounds/Kopete_Received.ogg"
ICON="/home/hoor/GNUstep/Library/Icons/apps/system-config-date.tif"

ogg123 "$SOUND"
notify-send --icon="$ICON" "APPOINTMENT" "$1\ndue in $2 mins."

Charles

--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse
for some of the brain-damages of minix.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-notify: Need to get notifications at the start time of the task (in addition to the deadline)
@ 2016-06-10 16:45           ` Amit Tendulkar
From: Amit Tendulkar @ 2016-06-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> Amit Tendulkar <amit_tendulkar@persistent.com> writes:
>
> Hi Amit:
>
>> I put notify.el in my load path and added the following lines in my init
>> file.
>>
>> (autoload 'notify "notify" "Notify TITLE, BODY.")
>> (appt-activate 1)
>> (org-agenda-to-appt)
>>
>> Still I am getting only inline intimations for the appointments. Am I
>> missing something?
>
> Sorry, I set this up a long time ago, so I gave you the wrong info,
> After searching my configuration files, I found this:
>
> ;; Update appt list and dbus appt notification
> ; Get appointments for today
> (defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
>   (interactive)
>   (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
>   (let ((org-deadline-warning-days 0))    ;; will be automatic in org 5.23
>         (org-agenda-to-appt)))
>
> ; Run once, activate and schedule refresh
> (my-org-agenda-to-appt)
> (appt-activate t)
> (run-at-time "00:01" nil 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> ; 5 minute warnings
> (setq appt-message-warning-time 15)
> (setq appt-display-interval 5)
>
> ; Update appt each time agenda opened.
> (add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> ; Setup zenify, we tell appt to use window, and replace default function
> (setq appt-display-format 'window)
> (setq appt-disp-window-function (function my-appt-disp-window))
>
> (defun my-appt-disp-window (min-to-app new-time msg)
>   (save-window-excursion
>     (shell-command
>      (concat "/home/hoor/bin/org-appt-notify '" msg "'  '" min-to-app "'&")
>      nil nil)
>     )
>   )
>

> and here is the content of "org-appt-notify"
>

> #!/bin/sh
> SOUND="/home/hoor/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Sounds/Kopete_Received.ogg"
> ICON="/home/hoor/GNUstep/Library/Icons/apps/system-config-date.tif"
>
> ogg123 "$SOUND"
> notify-send --icon="$ICON" "APPOINTMENT" "$1\ndue in $2 mins."
>

> Charles

Thanks Charles. The above is indeed very helpful. I replaced the
notify-send command with the below one as the notification popup wasn't
visible to me when I was connected to Citrix desktop. Whereas the below
command worked.

zenity --info --text="$1 due in $2 minutes" --title "APPOINTMENT" --timeout 60

@ 2023-10-17  9:13 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2023-10-17  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Tendulkar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode