* [Feature request] Repeatable tasks workday
@ 2019-03-08 12:05 Emil Marklund
From: Emil Marklund @ 2019-03-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

Some[1][2][3] have been asking for a method to create repeatable tasks
that repeats on workdays (Monday to Friday). As far as I can tell, there
is no "native support" for this in org-mode.  It would be neat if one
could specify repeatable tasks with a simple syntax, such as "+1wd" for
defining deadlines on tasks that should be repeated for each workday.

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-07/msg00093.html
[2]:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28369833/emacs-org-mode-repeat-tasks-m-f-but-not-weekends
[3]:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/5nkth/orgmode_scheduling_a_task_for_the_nth_weekday/

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: [Feature request] Repeatable tasks workday
@ 2019-03-08 14:08 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-03-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emil Marklund; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday,  8 Mar 2019 at 13:05, Emil Marklund wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Some[1][2][3] have been asking for a method to create repeatable tasks
> that repeats on workdays (Monday to Friday). As far as I can tell, there
> is no "native support" for this in org-mode.  It would be neat if one
> could specify repeatable tasks with a simple syntax, such as "+1wd" for
> defining deadlines on tasks that should be repeated for each workday.

This is non-trivial, especially as the concept of a work day is not the
same around the world.

The easiest solution, which I use, is to have weekly repeated tasks for
each "work day"; i.e. 5 different tasks, one for Monday, one for
Tuesday, etc.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.2-249-g51444a

* Re: [Feature request] Repeatable tasks workday
@ 2019-03-16  7:25   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2019-03-16  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <esflists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday,  8 Mar 2019 at 13:05, Emil Marklund wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Some[1][2][3] have been asking for a method to create repeatable tasks
>> that repeats on workdays (Monday to Friday). As far as I can tell, there
>> is no "native support" for this in org-mode.  It would be neat if one
>> could specify repeatable tasks with a simple syntax, such as "+1wd" for
>> defining deadlines on tasks that should be repeated for each workday.
>
> This is non-trivial, especially as the concept of a work day is not the
> same around the world.
>
> The easiest solution, which I use, is to have weekly repeated tasks for
> each "work day"; i.e. 5 different tasks, one for Monday, one for
> Tuesday, etc.

This is normally solved by creating custom calendars that define
workdays/holydays, and then call the functionality with a specific
calendar. Even within Germany e.g. the states have different holydays,
so an enterprise with plants in different states needs to create
different calenders.

--
cheers,
Thorsten