* org-refile and ivy
@ 2021-01-22 15:49 Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-01-22 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all org mode list readers,

I have been trying to get to grips with org-refile.  For some reason,
the completion mechanism (I use ivy generally but I have no idea what
org-refile actually tries to do/use) only shows me the current file name
if I have org-refile-targets set to nil.  It doesn't show any top level
headlines to choose from which is what I would expect from the
documentation.  Hitting RET to select the completion target given (file
name only) refiles to the end of the file which is not what I want.

This is with org updated fairly recently but not quite up to
date.  However, I've had this problem for a long time and don't use
org-refile as a result.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-179-g5b5c42

* Re: org-refile and ivy
@ 2021-01-22 17:37 ` Gustavo Barros
From: Gustavo Barros @ 2021-01-22 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 15:49, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all org mode list readers,
>
> I have been trying to get to grips with org-refile.  For some reason,
> the completion mechanism (I use ivy generally but I have no idea what
> org-refile actually tries to do/use) only shows me the current file name
> if I have org-refile-targets set to nil.  It doesn't show any top level
> headlines to choose from which is what I would expect from the
> documentation.  Hitting RET to select the completion target given (file
> name only) refiles to the end of the file which is not what I want.
>
> This is with org updated fairly recently but not quite up to
> date.  However, I've had this problem for a long time and don't use
> org-refile as a result.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.

I use org-refile with ivy, so I might share.  If I recall correctly, the
only thing that does not play well between the two is
`org-outline-path-complete-in-steps`.   My basic setup is the following:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-refile-targets
      '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 6)
        ;; 'nil' means consider headings of the current buffer
        (nil :maxlevel . 6)))
(setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
#+end_src

That should get you started.  I personally like org-refile for its
quickness, so I do some extra work to filter out candidates of this list
and keeping only the frequent targets (with
`org-refile-target-verify-function').  And if something atypical arises,
I just go with kill-yank.

Note however, on the relation of org-refile and ivy:
https://orgmode.org/list/87tuvrj7ww.fsf@gmail.com/

HTH,
Gustavo.

* Re: org-refile and ivy
@ 2021-01-22 18:23 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-01-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have been trying to get to grips with org-refile.  For some reason,
> the completion mechanism (I use ivy generally but I have no idea what
> org-refile actually tries to do/use) only shows me the current file name
> if I have org-refile-targets set to nil.  It doesn't show any top level
> headlines to choose from which is what I would expect from the
> documentation.  Hitting RET to select the completion target given (file
> name only) refiles to the end of the file which is not what I want.

I use the built-in completion framework. And if the org-refile-targets
is nil, it shows me the top level headings from the same file in the
*Completions* buffer when I press TAB.

So, in your case, it looks like an Ivy issue.

> This is with org updated fairly recently but not quite up to
> date.  However, I've had this problem for a long time and don't use
> org-refile as a result.

My org-version is 9.4.4

* Re: org-refile and ivy
@ 2021-01-22 19:24   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-01-22 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 15:49, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dear all org mode list readers,
>>
>> I have been trying to get to grips with org-refile.  For some reason,
>> the completion mechanism (I use ivy generally but I have no idea what
>> org-refile actually tries to do/use) only shows me the current file name
>> if I have org-refile-targets set to nil.  It doesn't show any top level
>> headlines to choose from which is what I would expect from the
>> documentation.  Hitting RET to select the completion target given (file
>> name only) refiles to the end of the file which is not what I want.
>>
>> This is with org updated fairly recently but not quite up to
>> date.  However, I've had this problem for a long time and don't use
>> org-refile as a result.
>>
>> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> I use org-refile with ivy, so I might share.  If I recall correctly, the
> only thing that does not play well between the two is
> `org-outline-path-complete-in-steps`.   My basic setup is the following:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq org-refile-targets
>       '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 6)
>         ;; 'nil' means consider headings of the current buffer
>         (nil :maxlevel . 6)))
> (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
> (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
> #+end_src
>
> That should get you started.  I personally like org-refile for its
> quickness, so I do some extra work to filter out candidates of this list
> and keeping only the frequent targets (with
> `org-refile-target-verify-function').  And if something atypical arises,
> I just go with kill-yank.
>
> Note however, on the relation of org-refile and ivy:
> https://orgmode.org/list/87tuvrj7ww.fsf@gmail.com/

I am using spacemacs, currently with helm, but have used it with ivy as
well and I have the following setup for my org-refile, which I find
works well for my purposes.

      org-refile-allow-creating-parent-nodes 'confirm
      org-refile-targets (quote ((nil :maxlevel . 3)
                                 (org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)))
      org-refile-use-outline-path t

which allows me to type some of the 'path' name (e.g. outline heading or
org file name) and it shows me appropriate candidates.

I don't know if there is some spacemacs helm/ivy setup which plays a
part here - it just works, so I've not looked any further.

org version reports 9.4.4

--
Tim Cross

* Re: org-refile and ivy
@ 2021-01-25  8:29 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-01-25  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> Dear all org mode list readers,
>
> I have been trying to get to grips with org-refile.  For some reason,
> the completion mechanism (I use ivy generally but I have no idea what
> org-refile actually tries to do/use) only shows me the current file name
> if I have org-refile-targets set to nil.  It doesn't show any top level
> headlines to choose from which is what I would expect from the
> documentation.  Hitting RET to select the completion target given (file
> name only) refiles to the end of the file which is not what I want.
>
> This is with org updated fairly recently but not quite up to
> date.  However, I've had this problem for a long time and don't use
> org-refile as a result.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Thank you,
> eric

Refiling works for me.  I have

  (setq org-refile-targets '(("gtd.org" :regexp . "Task")
                             ("someday.org" :level . 1)
                             ("projects.org" :regexp . "Tasks")
                             (nil :tag . "refile")
                             (org-agenda-files :regexp . "Tasks")
                             (org-agenda-files :regexp . "Appointments")
                             (nil :maxlevel . 3)))

I use IDO, but at some point tried out ivy.  I seem to remember having
some issues with it (I still have commented out ivy stuff in my
init.org).  Unfortunately I can't remember whether the problems were
related to refiling :-/

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: org-refile and ivy
@ 2021-01-25  8:40   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-01-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 22 Jan 2021 at 14:37, Gustavo Barros wrote:
> I use org-refile with ivy, so I might share.  If I recall correctly,
> the only thing that does not play well between the two is
> `org-outline-path-complete-in-steps`.  My basic setup is the
> following:

Spot on!  Changing the setting of that variable to nil allows refiling
to work properly.  Many thanks!

Why it doesn't work with that variable set to t is, of course, another
question but not one that is urgent (for me) now.

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2021-01-25 12:12     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-01-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Friday, 22 Jan 2021 at 14:37, Gustavo Barros wrote:
>> I use org-refile with ivy, so I might share.  If I recall correctly,
>> the only thing that does not play well between the two is
>> `org-outline-path-complete-in-steps`.  My basic setup is the
>> following:
>
> Spot on!  Changing the setting of that variable to nil allows refiling
> to work properly.  Many thanks!
>
> Why it doesn't work with that variable set to t is, of course, another
> question but not one that is urgent (for me) now.

Although the docstring of this variable also suggests that going in
steps might not be best thing with completion packages like ido etc.,
but it doesn’t say that refiling wont work. So, I guess this is a bug.