* Recurring dates just on weekdays?
@ 2009-07-04 11:13 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-07-04 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to set recurring dates just for weekdays? I have a number
of recurring tasks which are only relevant on work days, so I'd like to
have them only appear on monday to friday. Is there anything I can do to
accomplish this?

Thanks, Paul.

* Re: Recurring dates just on weekdays?
@ 2009-07-04 11:30 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2009-07-04 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

    PM> Is it possible to set recurring dates just for weekdays? I have a number
    PM> of recurring tasks which are only relevant on work days, so I'd like to
    PM> have them only appear on monday to friday. Is there anything I can do to
    PM> accomplish this?

If you only need a reminder (and not a TODO) you can use a diary-sexp:

** Daily meeting
   SCHEDULED: <%%(memq (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 2 3 4 5))>

However, if you use it as a TODO item that you mark as DONE, your only option
(AFAIK) is to define separate recurring appointments for each of the weekdays.

The problem is that diary-sexp don't really 'recur' in the org-mode sense;
when you mark them as DONE, the whole series is done. I would be a nice
feature, but I can imagine it'd be hard to implement[1].

Best wishes,
Dirk.

[1] hope this challenges someone ;)

* Re: Recurring dates just on weekdays?
@ 2009-07-04 13:59   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-07-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb.bulk@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Paul,
>
> However, if you use it as a TODO item that you mark as DONE, your only option
> (AFAIK) is to define separate recurring appointments for each of the weekdays.

That's an option I hadn't considered - thanks Dirk, I'll give that a go.

Paul