* ox-latex: Is \uline really right for underlining?
@ 2013-12-11 14:21 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-12-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

org-latex-text-markup-alist is a variable defined in `ox-latex.el'.
Its value is ((bold . "\\textbf{%s}")
 (code . verb)
 (italic . "\\emph{%s}")
 (strike-through . "\\sout{%s}")
 (underline . "\\uline{%s}")
 (verbatim . protectedtexttt))

underline . "\\uline{%s}" -- According to [1],

~~
\uline
    Underlines text. Requires ulem package. See Formatting.
~~

Is "ulem" one of the LaTeX export default packages? I don't see that it is.
If not, should org's default underlining command depend on a package that
is not activated by default?

(There is no reference to -markup- anything in my .emacs, so I'm quite sure
I haven't customized this variable.)

hjh

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Command_Glossary#U

* Re: ox-latex: Is \uline really right for underlining?
@ 2013-12-11 14:47 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-12-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: orgmode

Hello,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> Is "ulem" one of the LaTeX export default packages?

Yes, it is. See `org-latex-default-packages-alist'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ox-latex: Is \uline really right for underlining?
@ 2013-12-12  2:40   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-12-12  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: orgmode

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:47:42 PM HKT, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> Is "ulem" one of the LaTeX export default packages?
>
> Yes, it is. See `org-latex-default-packages-alist'.

Ah... I must have customized that at some point.

Drifting off the topic slightly, to a related question. I have a feeling
that something is a bit off in my installation. If I do M-x customize-group
<ret> org-export <ret>, I have two links to "Org Export LaTeX":

Org Export LaTeX : Options for exporting Org-mode files to LaTeX.

Org Export LaTeX : Options for exporting Org-mode files to PDF, via LaTeX.

I think this is the source of some of my confusion about these export
options.

Which one is current? Then I can figure out where the other one is coming
from and make sure it doesn't get loaded.

Thanks,
hjh

* Re: ox-latex: Is \uline really right for underlining?
@ 2013-12-12  6:47     ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-12-12  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: orgmode

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM, James Harkins
<jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:47:42 PM HKT, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>>>
>>> Is "ulem" one of the LaTeX export default packages?
>>
>> Yes, it is. See `org-latex-default-packages-alist'.
>
> Ah... I must have customized that at some point.

And... I just found why I had customized it. It was because of
hyperref's (idiotic) default behavior of drawing red boxes around
links.

I'm not sure how "ulem" didn't make it into my customized setting.
Maybe "ulem" was added to the default packages list after I made the
customization.

What's the best way to handle that? I really want the "hidelinks"
option for hyperref to be used globally. But, customizing
org-latex-default-packages-alist means that I will miss updates to
that variable in future org versions.

Should I leave org-latex-default-packages-alist alone, and add my own
entry for hyperref into org-latex-packages-alist? (Would there be any
ill effect from having two \usepackage{hyperref} lines in the
preamble, with different options?)

hjh

* Re: ox-latex: Is \uline really right for underlining?
@ 2013-12-12  7:02       ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2013-12-12  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: orgmode

Hi James,

2013ko abenudak 12an, James Harkins-ek idatzi zuen:

> What's the best way to handle that? I really want the "hidelinks"
> option for hyperref to be used globally. But, customizing
> org-latex-default-packages-alist means that I will miss updates to
> that variable in future org versions.
>
> Should I leave org-latex-default-packages-alist alone, and add my own
> entry for hyperref into org-latex-packages-alist? (Would there be any
> ill effect from having two \usepackage{hyperref} lines in the
> preamble, with different options?)

I don’t know for certain if having two \usepackages would have bad
effects, but my vague feeling is that you will be fussed at by the
LaTeX compiler and/or the options specified in the two instances will
not compose in the desired way.

You probably want the \hypersetup command (q.v. in the hyperref manual).
You can add it to the ‘org-latex-classes’.  You probably want something
like the following, slightly modified from the default:

(("article"
  "\\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\[DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
\[PACKAGES]
\hypersetup{hidelinks=true} % <--- the important bit
\[EXTRA]"
("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
  ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
  ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))

HTH,

--
Aaron Ecay