* Formatting issue when exporting with LaTeX/Beamer
@ 2014-03-07 16:09 Elasady, Summer
From: Elasady, Summer @ 2014-03-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello-

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I am new to LaTeX and Beamer and did not find any documentation on this specific issue.

I am trying to export to Beamer to create presentations out of my OrgMode documents and I’m running into a strange formatting issue. The headers are being printed out before any of the content. So my export will show all the headers in order, followed by all the content in order, instead of exporting header/content, header2/content2, etc.

I’ve even tried copying and pasting exactly the .emacs code and the template code from the following tutorials, and the same issue still occurs:

  *   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html
  *   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Using_Beamer_and_org_mode_to_write_slide_shows
  *   http://emacs-fu.blogspot.ca/2009/10/writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html

Here’s a screenshot of a template that I copied without alteration and attempted to export:

[cid:05F36DB2-7CF1-4722-82E2-E051CCBD3DD5]

And here’s a screenshot of the output, as you can see, the headings and content are out of order:

[cid:0352FCD4-8925-49D9-8C08-CA05DD61C3D3]

I’ve tried various combinations of the .emacs code from the websites listed above, but the only one that works is this (which is what I’m currently using to export):

(require 'ox-latex)
(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("beamer"
               "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
               ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
               ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))

Thank you,

Summer Rae
SRE@stowers.org

[-- Attachment #2: Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 9.45.48 AM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 76838 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 10.04.15 AM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 31069 bytes --]

* Re: Formatting issue when exporting with LaTeX/Beamer
@ 2014-03-07 21:30 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elasady, Summer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

"Elasady, Summer" <sre@stowers.org> writes:

> Hello-
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I am new to LaTeX and Beamer
> and did not find any documentation on this specific issue.
>
> I am trying to export to Beamer to create presentations out of my
> OrgMode documents and I’m running into a strange formatting issue.
> The headers are being printed out before any of the content. So my
> export will show all the headers in order, followed by all the
> content in order, instead of exporting header/content, header2/
> content2, etc.

I think you are missing the following line:

This tells org that second level headings are the frames and first level
are sections.  Otherwise, first level are taken as frames and so you
have only one frame in your example.  See the tutorial at

http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html

and, in particular, the "configuring frame export level" section.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-683-ga85683

* Re: Formatting issue when exporting with LaTeX/Beamer
@ 2014-03-07 22:06 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-07 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Elasady, Summer" <sre@stowers.org> writes:

> Hello-
>
> Thanks in  advance for any help/advice.  I am new to  LaTeX and Beamer
> and did not find any documentation on this specific issue.

The first piece of  advice I have is: don't post  screenshots - they are
useless. I can't  cut and paste from the screenshot  to try to reproduce
the problem, so  I would have to type  the damn thing in (or  as in this
case, hunt around in the links you provided to find something that I can
work with). Why are you making  life difficult for the people whose help
you are seeking? Just include your org file directly in the email - see
below for an example.

> I am  trying to  export to  Beamer to create  presentations out  of my
> OrgMode documents and I’m running into a strange formatting issue. The
> headers are being printed out before  any of the content. So my export
> will show  all the headers  in order, followed  by all the  content in
> order, instead of exporting header/content, header2/content2, etc.

What version of emacs/org are you using? I can't reproduce this ordering
problem, although I  do have troubles producing the  code listings.

Versions:
Org-mode version 8.2.5h (release_8.2.5h-682-g080f1d @
/home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4) of
2014-02-28

Here is the org file I used:

#+MACRO:  BEAMERMODE presentation  +MACRO:  BEAMERTHEME Antibes  +MACRO:
#BEAMERCOLORTHEME    lily    +MACRO:    BEAMERSUBJECT    RMRF    +MACRO:
#BEAMERINSTITUTE   Miskatonic  University,   Astrology  Dept.    +TITLE:
#Presentation with Org-Mode and Beamer +AUTHOR: Someone

* My presentation

** Overview

   1. Introduction

   2. Main part

   3. Questions

** Some interesting stuff

*** an important point

    - subpoint a

    - subpoint b

* Another slide

** Graphics

*** a picture

#+begin_src ditaa :file blue.png
+---------+
| cBLU |
|    +----+
|    |cPNK|
+----+----+
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
[[file:blue.png]]

*** another picture
#+LaTeX:\includegraphics{emacs.png}

* And another
** More interesting stuff

*** some C++ code
#+begin_LaTeX
\begin{lstlisting}[language=c++] for (int i = 1; i != 10; ++i)
    std::cout << i << ": hello, world!"
              << std::endl; \end{lstlisting}
#+end_LaTeX

*** and some Python

#+begin_LaTeX
\begin{lstlisting}[language=python] for i in range(1,10):
        print i, "hello, world!"  \end{lstlisting}
#+end_LaTeX

If I get rid of the code  listings, everything works as expected for me.
With the code listings I get this error - no idea why:

,----
| (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/listings/lstlang1.sty)
| (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/listings/lstlang1.sty)
| (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/listings/lstmisc.sty)  Overfull
| \hbox   (40.77774pt   too   wide)   in   paragraph   at   lines   82--82
| [][]\T1/cmss/m/n/10.95              stlistinglocklocknd             some
| Python-stlist-ingstlist-in-gloc k-lock-eamer@frameslideAnd
|
| Package Listings Warning:  Text dropped after begin of  listing on input
| line 82.
|

| )
| ! Emergency stop.
| <*> .../nick/src/org/latex/beamer-presentation.tex
|
| !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
`----

Nick