* Long table with NAME but no CAPTION
@ 2014-11-13  0:27 presnell
From: presnell @ 2014-11-13  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I export a table with

#+ATTR_LATEX: :environment longtable
#+NAME: mytable

then the beginning of the longtable environment (in the exported
latex file) has, e.g.,

\begin{longtable}{lrrl}
\label{mytable}
\\
\hline

This is a problem, because of the extra space created by the \\.  I
tried to fix it by changing ox-latex.el, but the longtable environment
(in latex) requires the \\ when there is a \label{} command, even in the
absence of a caption.  This looks like a bug in longtable to me, but it
is also true that in a pure LaTeX context it would be very unusual for a
table to have a \label{} without a \caption{}, because there would be no
printed target for \ref{mylabel} to refer to.

Note that there is no problem if the org table has no NAME, since then
the lines

\label{mytable}
\\

are not produced.  But I want the NAME in the org file because because I
use data from the table to do calculations in other tables via
"remote(mytable, ...)".

So my sugggestion would be for org's latex export to produce no \label{}
(and hence no \\) when the table has no caption, or at least I would
prefer to have this as an option.  Is there some way to achieve this?

Perhaps I should also file a bug report with the author/maintainer of
longtable, David Carlisle?

One more minor comment: I notice that org-mode's latex export puts the
\label{} inside the argument of the \caption{} command.  This seems
unusual to me.

* Re: Long table with NAME but no CAPTION
@ 2014-11-18 21:28 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-18 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: presnell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

presnell@member.fsf.org writes:

> So my sugggestion would be for org's latex export to produce no \label{}
> (and hence no \\) when the table has no caption, or at least I would
> prefer to have this as an option.  Is there some way to achieve this?

You can use a table filter to remove \label and \\ from longtables. See
(info "(org) Advanced configuration")

> Perhaps I should also file a bug report with the author/maintainer of
> longtable, David Carlisle?

Probably.

> One more minor comment: I notice that org-mode's latex export puts the
> \label{} inside the argument of the \caption{} command.  This seems
> unusual to me.

It isn't wrong, though.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Long table with NAME but no CAPTION
@ 2014-11-19  8:04   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-11-19  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: presnell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 18 Nov 2014 at 22:28, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> presnell@member.fsf.org writes:

[...]

>> One more minor comment: I notice that org-mode's latex export puts the
>> \label{} inside the argument of the \caption{} command.  This seems
>> unusual to me.
>
> It isn't wrong, though.

and in fact is common practice!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-558-g83d8a2

* Re: Long table with NAME but no CAPTION
@ 2014-11-19 18:11   ` presnell
From: presnell @ 2014-11-19 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: presnell, emacs-orgmode

> You can use a table filter to remove \label and \\ from longtables. See
> (info "(org) Advanced configuration")

Thanks.  Just to be clear, you are suggesting a filter that would remove
\label and \\ from longtables that have no caption, but that would leave
them in for longtables that do have a caption.  Is that right?

* Re: Long table with NAME but no CAPTION
@ 2014-11-19 20:54     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-19 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: presnell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

presnell@member.fsf.org writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> You can use a table filter to remove \label and \\ from longtables. See
>> (info "(org) Advanced configuration")
>
> Thanks.  Just to be clear, you are suggesting a filter that would remove
> \label and \\ from longtables that have no caption, but that would leave
> them in for longtables that do have a caption.  Is that right?

Correct.