* issue w/ org-ref setup: C-c ] works, but C-u C-C ] not
@ 2016-06-11 16:44 Andreas Reuleaux
From: Andreas Reuleaux @ 2016-06-11 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have used org-ref in the past and I liked it,
now I am trying to get it working again.
In a way this has become easier:

* I can install org-ref from Melpa now, instead of
  tangling from the org-ref.org file in the past

* with a fairly simple setup (omitting the details for now,
  but can give them of course), and the default

    (setq org-ref-completion-library 'org-ref-helm-bibtex)

  I get to chose my papers/books to cite in a quite comfortable way
  when I press C-c ]

But what does not currently work for me (and what used to work):
getting a choice of citation: cite/citep/citeauthor/nocite/whatever.

Basically I want

* a list to choose from in the first place

* preferrably have my own list of choices, allowing me to focus on the
  ones that I really do use (not get distracted by other more exotic
  ones), and that what I can also switch on a per document basis
  between bitex/natbib/biblatex and the available options there

I know that org-ref is relying on reftex in this regard,
and when I just use plain reftex, or even (require 'org-ref-reftex),
I get to chose cite/citep/citeauthor etc., but I loose the comfort
of the org-ref-helm-bibtex input method.

Ideally - I guess I am dreaming - I would want to rely
on ivy (or helm) for narrowing down my choice of cite/citep/citeauthor
etc - rather than type some retex keystroke.

I got some help from this list in past, how to configure my reftex
list of choices, to use biblatex entries: parencite etc. - thanks again,
and can go through these old emails of mine of course, but I am not
sure in how far these things still apply, given that org-ref has
changed quite a lot in between. Also at the time, I was at least
presented some menu when I typed C-u C-c ] - so it was just a matter
of modifying that menu, now I only get to see "pattern:" in the minibuffer.

Thanks,
  Andreas

* Re: issue w/ org-ref setup: C-c ] works, but C-u C-C ] not
@ 2016-06-11 17:23 ` John Kitchin
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-06-11 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Reuleaux; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Reuleaux writes:

> I have used org-ref in the past and I liked it,
> now I am trying to get it working again.
> In a way this has become easier:
>
> * I can install org-ref from Melpa now, instead of
>   tangling from the org-ref.org file in the past
>
> * with a fairly simple setup (omitting the details for now,
>   but can give them of course), and the default
>
>     (setq org-ref-completion-library 'org-ref-helm-bibtex)
>
>   I get to chose my papers/books to cite in a quite comfortable way
>   when I press C-c ]
>
> But what does not currently work for me (and what used to work):
> getting a choice of citation: cite/citep/citeauthor/nocite/whatever.

To get this, you press C-u enter on the candidate you select, and that
should give you a new helm selection for citation type. This is
currently only possible in the helm backend. I am not sure if it can be
done with ivy yet.

> Basically I want
>
> * a list to choose from in the first place
>
> * preferrably have my own list of choices, allowing me to focus on the
>   ones that I really do use (not get distracted by other more exotic
>   ones), and that what I can also switch on a per document basis
>   between bitex/natbib/biblatex and the available options there

You can customize org-ref-cite-types for this. Make it shorter, a local
var, etc...

> I know that org-ref is relying on reftex in this regard,
> and when I just use plain reftex, or even (require 'org-ref-reftex),
> I get to chose cite/citep/citeauthor etc., but I loose the comfort
> of the org-ref-helm-bibtex input method.
>
> Ideally - I guess I am dreaming - I would want to rely
> on ivy (or helm) for narrowing down my choice of cite/citep/citeauthor
> etc - rather than type some retex keystroke.
>
> I got some help from this list in past, how to configure my reftex
> list of choices, to use biblatex entries: parencite etc. - thanks again,
> and can go through these old emails of mine of course, but I am not
> sure in how far these things still apply, given that org-ref has
> changed quite a lot in between. Also at the time, I was at least
> presented some menu when I typed C-u C-c ] - so it was just a matter

I think C-u C-c ] will give a list of labels to make a ref link to.
Maybe you don't have any labels, so it looks empty.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: issue w/ org-ref setup: C-c ] works, but C-u C-C ] not
@ 2016-06-11 18:02   ` Andreas Reuleaux
From: Andreas Reuleaux @ 2016-06-11 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John - thanks for your fast reply, and I am learning:
didn't know that it should be possible to C-u on the candidate
selected - still: it's not working for me (yet), - I assume the error
is on my side, but I need more time to find it: start out from a fresh,
barely nothing config maybe, will get back, in case I get lost.

-Andreas

@ 2016-06-12  2:26   ` Andreas Reuleaux
From: Andreas Reuleaux @ 2016-06-12  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks again,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>> But what does not currently work for me (and what used to work):
>> getting a choice of citation: cite/citep/citeauthor/nocite/whatever.
>
> To get this, you press C-u enter on the candidate you select, and that
> should give you a new helm selection for citation type. This is
> currently only possible in the helm backend. I am not sure if it can be
> done with ivy yet.

still can't get that to work, sorry, giving up for now, ie. resorting
to org w/ plain old reftex.

> I think C-u C-c ] will give a list of labels to make a ref link to.
> Maybe you don't have any labels, so it looks empty.

This is fine now, that I have some links

Thanks anyway,

@ 2016-06-16 23:28   ` Andreas Reuleaux
From: Andreas Reuleaux @ 2016-06-16 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I gave it another try, and I got it finally!
I have to press C-u and then return (not just C-u),
then the helm menu to chose the citation type pops up

Thanks again,