* looking for suggestions: adding a notes page to title page on org beamer export
@ 2020-07-10 12:37 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-07-10 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

TL;DR: is there an easy (more elegant) way to add notes to the title
page for beamer export?  Ideally, something that would allow me to write
in org for the contents of that title notes page, e.g. with lists etc.

(sorry for the onslaught of posts to this list today: I'm working on
lecture slides for next academic year, having to adapt to the COVID-19
situation and be prepared for any contingency...)

Beamer export has a really nice feature: being able to add notes to any
slide and have these appear as a separate page in the exported PDF.  I'm
looking at screen capture for creating pre-recorded lectures.  Using (on
Debian) =simplescreenrecorder=, I can grab just part of the
screen.  Therefore, what works well is to have my slides shown in dual
page mode with each slide on the left and corresponding notes on the
right.  For this to work, I need to have notes for every slide,
including the title page, although I could create a dummy slide, of
course.  In any case, notes for the title page are useful.

However, /out-of-the-box/, there appears to be no way to add notes to
the title page.  My solution has been to overload the =\maketitle= LaTeX
command:

#+latex_header: \let\oldmaketitle\maketitle
#+latex_header: \renewcommand{\maketitle}{\oldmaketitle%
#+latex_header: \note{This is a note.}}

The reason for this convoluted LaTeX intervention is that the LaTeX
=\note= must come before the =\begin{document}= in the LaTeX generated
by ox-beamer to come after the title page but before any subsequent
slides.

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-682-geac255

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-07-10 12:38 UTC | newest]