* Sole Completion bug?
@ 2021-02-13  5:28 Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-02-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use org-goto to navigate my org-headings. If I use the *default* settings,
everything works fine. However, if I add the following customization,
my completion options become limited:

(setq org-goto-interface (quote outline-path-completion))

If I now search, for example, for a heading containing the name "Chris",
orgmode will only pick up ONE of the headings that contains this name,
and it will say "sole completion", although there are several other
headings that also contain the name.

For example:

* Chris Bell
* Phone Chris Bell
* Meeting with Chris Bell

I get /Chris Bell [Sole Completion]

I have tested this running Emacs -Q

--
Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
@ 2021-02-15  4:06 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-02-15  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raoul Comninos writes:

> (setq org-goto-interface (quote outline-path-completion))
>
> If I now search, for example, for a heading containing the name "Chris",
> orgmode will only pick up ONE of the headings that contains this name,
> and it will say "sole completion", although there are several other
> headings that also contain the name.
>
> For example:
>
> * Chris Bell
> * Phone Chris Bell
> * Meeting with Chris Bell
>
> I get /Chris Bell [Sole Completion]

Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?

  (completing-read
   "Prompt: "
   (list "Chris Bell"
         "Phone Chris Bell"
         "Meeting with Chris Bell"))

  ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
@ 2021-02-15  7:39   ` Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-02-15  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>
>   (completing-read
>    "Prompt: "
>    (list "Chris Bell"
>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>
>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]

You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
wildcards not regex. Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
by regex?

--
Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
@ 2021-02-16  3:45     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-02-16  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>>
>>   (completing-read
>>    "Prompt: "
>>    (list "Chris Bell"
>>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>>
>>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]
>
> You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
> asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
> wildcards not regex.

Yeah, I think that's the "*" from the partial-completion style in
completion-styles.

  (info "(emacs)Completion Styles")

> Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
> by regex?

I'm not aware of a built-in completion style that offers that, but I
haven't used built-in completion for years.  Ivy and, if I recall
correctly, Helm support regexps.  I'd guess other third-party frameworks
do too.

* Re: Sole Completion bug?
@ 2021-02-16  6:58       ` Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-02-16  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Raoul Comninos writes:
>
>> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>>>
>>>   (completing-read
>>>    "Prompt: "
>>>    (list "Chris Bell"
>>>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>>>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>>>
>>>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]
>>
>> You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
>> asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
>> wildcards not regex.
>
> Yeah, I think that's the "*" from the partial-completion style in
> completion-styles.
>
>   (info "(emacs)Completion Styles")
>
>> Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
>> by regex?
>
> I'm not aware of a built-in completion style that offers that, but I
> haven't used built-in completion for years.  Ivy and, if I recall
> correctly, Helm support regexps.  I'd guess other third-party frameworks
> do too.

Thanks very much.

--
Kindest regards,