* Dealing with inter-org links vs #+include
@ 2023-04-28 15:09 Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2023-04-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I want what may be two conflicting things:

- Produce a monolithic HTML export of an main org file that #+include:'s
  other org files.

- Have links in the other org files that are valid both when the
  monolith is exported to HTML and when visiting the individual org
  files in Emacs.

Below is a simple test.  The "main.org" includes "a.org" and "b.org".
The "b.org" has two types of links.  The link:

  [[A][A by headline only]]

is valid in the HTML export of "main.org" but it is not valid for Emacs
visiting b.org (C-c C-o gives "No match - create this as a new
heading?").  And then vice versa for the link:

  [[file:a.org::*A][A by file with headline]]

I can follow that link in Emacs but it renders to an <href> with
"a.html#MissingReference".  And export fails outright if I do not
include

Is there a way I can have my cake and eat it too?  That is, how can I
make a link between "sub" org files that can be followed by Emacs and
also that produces a valid HTML link when the main.org is exported?

Thanks!
-Brett.

$ ls *.org
a.org  b.org  main.org

$ for n in *.org
      echo "=== $n ==="
      cat $n
  end
=== a.org ===
* A

This is A.
=== b.org ===
* B

This is B.  Links:
- [[file:a.org::*A][A by file with headline]].
- [[A][A by headline only]].

=== main.org ===
#+title: Main

* Main