* Org 9.6.9 hangs when saving encrypted entries
@ 2023-09-14 23:27 Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2023-09-14 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 29.1, org version 9.6.9
When encrypting an entry in org-mode using symmetric encryption
and gpg 2.2, emacs just hangs there on 'Saving file'.

Tried running a backtrace using emacs -Q, but no errors generated,
it just hangs there.

There is nothing wrong with gpg, I can encrypt/decrypt from the command
line just fine, and when viewing files with gpg extension, it correctly
decrypts it and the decrypted contents are viewable in the buffer. But
when saving a modified file with encryption, emacs just hangs there.

* Re: Org 9.6.9 hangs when saving encrypted entries
@ 2023-09-15  9:22 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-15  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs 29.1, org version 9.6.9
> When encrypting an entry in org-mode using symmetric encryption
> and gpg 2.2, emacs just hangs there on 'Saving file'.
>
> Tried running a backtrace using emacs -Q, but no errors generated,
> it just hangs there.
>
> There is nothing wrong with gpg, I can encrypt/decrypt from the command
> line just fine, and when viewing files with gpg extension, it correctly
> decrypts it and the decrypted contents are viewable in the buffer. But
> when saving a modified file with encryption, emacs just hangs there.

What if you do the same with a simple textual file (not an Org file)?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org 9.6.9 hangs when saving encrypted entries
@ 2023-09-15 10:14   ` Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2023-09-15 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sep 15, 2023, at 5:22 AM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Emacs 29.1, org version 9.6.9
>> When encrypting an entry in org-mode using symmetric encryption
>> and gpg 2.2, emacs just hangs there on 'Saving file'.
>>
>> Tried running a backtrace using emacs -Q, but no errors generated,
>> it just hangs there.
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with gpg, I can encrypt/decrypt from the command
>> line just fine, and when viewing files with gpg extension, it correctly
>> decrypts it and the decrypted contents are viewable in the buffer. But
>> when saving a modified file with encryption, emacs just hangs there.
>
> What if you do the same with a simple textual file (not an Org file)?

You mean gpg from the command line or within emacs?

@ 2023-09-15 10:20     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-15 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

>> What if you do the same with a simple textual file (not an Org file)?
>
> You mean gpg from the command line or within emacs?

From within Emacs. Try to open encrypted file.txt.gpg in Emacs, edit it,
and save.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org 9.6.9 hangs when saving encrypted entries
@ 2023-09-15 10:23       ` Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2023-09-15 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sep 15, 2023, at 6:20 AM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> What if you do the same with a simple textual file (not an Org file)?
>>
>> You mean gpg from the command line or within emacs?
>
> From within Emacs. Try to open encrypted file.txt.gpg in Emacs, edit it,
> and save.

Same behavior. Just tried it.
From command line:

gpg —symmetric newfile.txt

this produces newfile.txt.gpg

Open newfile.txt.gpg within emacs. Opens and decrypts into buffer just fine.
Then edit the file and save with C-x C-s.

Then emacs hangs. Have to C-g to get out of it.

@ 2023-09-15 10:39         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-15 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

>> From within Emacs. Try to open encrypted file.txt.gpg in Emacs, edit it,
>> and save.
>>

> Same behavior. Just tried it.
> From command line:
>
> gpg —symmetric newfile.txt
>
> this produces newfile.txt.gpg
>
> Open newfile.txt.gpg within emacs. Opens and decrypts into buffer just fine.
> Then edit the file and save with C-x C-s.
>
> Then emacs hangs. Have to C-g to get out of it.

Then, it has nothing to do with Org.

Looks like https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63882 - a known
issue with particular GPG version. But, AFAIK, that issue is limited to
GPG 2.4.1.

I would recommend you to double-check your GPG version and if it does
not fit bug#63882, report the problem to Emacs (M-x report-emacs-bug).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org 9.6.9 hangs when saving encrypted entries
@ 2023-09-15 10:40           ` Carlo Tambuatco
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2023-09-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you suggesting I should try a different version of gpg?

@ 2023-09-15 10:50             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-15 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> Are you suggesting I should try a different version of gpg?

Yes.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,