* Get weekly agenda for the current file only, NOT from the agenda list
@ 2010-09-10  7:43 James Harkins
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: James Harkins @ 2010-09-10  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

(Yay! I get to subscribe to yet another mailing list for [probably] a simple
question.)

(Yay! http://orgmode.org/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org is broken for me - 404
error.)

OK... I'm falling in love with org-mode but I would like to run C-c a a and
have it make an agenda for only the current buffer. One of the files I use
routinely is on removable storage and I don't want to add it to the agenda
list.

I looked at the FAQ - no answer. Documentation on custom agenda commands is
too dense for me to parse through just now (I'm under some tight deadlines).
Hoping there's a quick, easy way to do it.

Thanks!
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

* Re: Get weekly agenda for the current file only, NOT from the agenda list
@ 2010-09-10  8:05 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:43 AM, James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Yay! I get to subscribe to yet another mailing list for [probably] a simple
> question.)
>
> (Yay! http://orgmode.org/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org is broken for me - 404
> error.)
>
> OK... I'm falling in love with org-mode but I would like to run C-c a a and
> have it make an agenda for only the current buffer. One of the files I use
> routinely is on removable storage and I don't want to add it to the agenda
> list.
>
> I looked at the FAQ - no answer. Documentation on custom agenda commands is
> too dense for me to parse through just now (I'm under some tight deadlines).
> Hoping there's a quick, easy way to do it.

If you have a recent version of Org, you can do

C-c a < a

Hope this helps

- Carsten

> Thanks!
> James
>

> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks

* Re: Get weekly agenda for the current file only, NOT from the agenda list
@ 2010-09-10  8:10 ` Manish
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Manish @ 2010-09-10  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Have you tried "C-c a < a"?

-- Manish

@ 2010-09-10  8:15 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi James,

James Harkins wrote:
> (Yay! I get to subscribe to yet another mailing list for [probably] a simple
> question.)
>
> (Yay! http://orgmode.org/emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org is broken for me - 404
> error.)
>
> OK... I'm falling in love with org-mode but I would like to run C-c a a and
> have it make an agenda for only the current buffer.

Instead of =C-c a a=, use =C-c a < a=. The =<= restricts the agenda to the
current buffer.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Get weekly agenda for the current file only, NOT from the agenda list
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-10  8:42 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-09-10  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM, James Harkins wrote:
> (Yay! I get to subscribe to yet another mailing list for [probably] a simple
> question.)
>
> (Yay! http://orgmode.org/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org is broken for me - 404
> error.)

Eh?  Wheres is that supposed to point?

> OK... I'm falling in love with org-mode but I would like to run C-c a a and
> have it make an agenda for only the current buffer. One of the files I use
> routinely is on removable storage and I don't want to add it to the agenda
> list.
>
> I looked at the FAQ - no answer. Documentation on custom agenda commands is
> too dense for me to parse through just now (I'm under some tight deadlines).

http://orgmode.org/org.html#Agenda-files has some more details
regarding restricted agenda, just in case..

and this great tutorial at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php
is a better place to get started with custom agenda commands than the
manual.

hth
-- manish

* Re: Get weekly agenda for the current file only, NOT from the agenda list
@ 2010-09-10 10:27   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2010-09-10 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Thanks everyone for the fast response.

On 9/10/10 4:42 PM, Manish wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM, James Harkins wrote:
>> (Yay! I get to subscribe to yet another mailing list for [probably] a simple
>> question.)
>>
>> (Yay! http://orgmode.org/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org is broken for me - 404
>> error.)
>
> Eh?  Wheres is that supposed to point?

 From http://orgmode.org/:

---
Mailing list

There is a mailing list for discussion about org-mode.

     * Subscribe to it at the web interface.
     * Directly send mail to it. If you are not subscribed, a moderator
will look at the message before passing it through to the list.
---

The broken link I posted is "Directly send mail to it." (Hence small
annoyance about having no option but to subscribe when I already get a
ton of messages from mailing lists.)

> and this great tutorial at
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php
> is a better place to get started with custom agenda commands than the
> manual.

Thanks for the pointers! I know well about the challenges of open source
documentation... :-)

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

* Re: Get weekly agenda for the current file only, NOT from the agenda list
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-11 18:55 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
> (Yay! http://orgmode.org/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org is broken for me - 404 error.)

That's a bug in the mailto: link export (already fixed in the
development version).  So that should have read:

mailto:emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Achim.