* Option to override date on org-add-note?
@ 2014-08-18 14:42 Edward DeMeulle
From: Edward DeMeulle @ 2014-08-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Frequently I find myself logging a note for something that occurred in
the past either because I wasn't at my computer or just not paying
attention at the time. C-u C-c C-z doesn't change anything. I tried
looking at the source code for the logging functions but nothing jumped
out. Does this option already exist somewhere I've missed?

_ED_

* Re: Option to override date on org-add-note?
@ 2014-08-18 16:38 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-08-18 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Edward DeMeulle <ed@demeulle.org> writes:

> Frequently I find myself logging a note for something that occurred in
> the past either because I wasn't at my computer or just not paying
> attention at the time. C-u C-c C-z doesn't change anything. I tried
> looking at the source code for the logging functions but nothing jumped
> out. Does this option already exist somewhere I've missed?

Not that I can see: the timestamp is obtained by calling
org-current-effective-time which doesn't have any facilities
for interactive time entering. There are two variables that
influence it:

o org-use-last-clock-out-time
o org-use-effective-time

If you use clocking, you might want to investigate the first one.  The
second one makes the function obey your org-extend-today-until
preference (good for night-owls, but perhaps not much else). Both of
them are all-or-nothing.

AFAICT, neither of them will do what you want (at least not all the
time).

But you can manually modify time stamps quickly after the fact:

    (info "(org) Creating timestamps")

In particular, S-<up>/S-<down> on any particular field of the date
will modify that entry. I generally find that easy enough to do
in the rare occasions when I need to modify a timestamp, but ymmv.

--
Nick