* table and field reference a la OO/LO
@ 2016-10-23 16:33 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-10-23 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

What I still missing in the otherwise excellent table/spreadsheet is a
sort of coordinate system which would easily allow me to find the column
and line number.
I mean something like this.

| 1/A |   B |  C | D   |
|   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
|   3 |     |    |     |
#+TBLFM: $4=@2$2-@2$3

Which would allow be to have also $4=B2-C2 in the input bar.

For the lines, I sometimes use an indirect buffer and turn on
linum-mode

But what could I do for the columns?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: table and field reference a la OO/LO
@ 2016-10-23 16:45 ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2016-10-23 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 23/10/2016 18:33, Uwe Brauer a écrit :
> Hi
>
> What I still missing in the otherwise excellent table/spreadsheet is a
> sort of coordinate system which would easily allow me to find the column
> and line number.
> I mean something like this.
>
> | 1/A |   B |  C | D   |
> |   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
> |   3 |     |    |     |
> #+TBLFM: $4=@2$2-@2$3
>
> Which would allow be to have also $4=B2-C2 in the input bar.
>
> For the lines, I sometimes use an indirect buffer and turn on
> linum-mode
>
> But what could I do for the columns?
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

Maybe you can try  C-c }  org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays

First outline the header (C-c -):

| 1/A |   B |  C |   D |
|-----+-----+----+-----|
|   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
|   3 |     |    |     |

After C-c } rows and columns coordinates are shown:

|   1| 1/A |   B |  C |   D |
|I*1 |$1---+$2---+$3--+$4---|
|   2|   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
|   3|   3 |     |    |     |

* Re: table and field reference a la OO/LO
@ 2016-10-23 16:53 ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2016-10-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 23/10/2016 18:33, Uwe Brauer a écrit :
> Hi
>
> What I still missing in the otherwise excellent table/spreadsheet is a
> sort of coordinate system which would easily allow me to find the column
> and line number.
> I mean something like this.
>
> | 1/A |   B |  C | D   |
> |   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
> |   3 |     |    |     |
> #+TBLFM: $4=@2$2-@2$3
>
> Which would allow be to have also $4=B2-C2 in the input bar.
>
> For the lines, I sometimes use an indirect buffer and turn on
> linum-mode
>
> But what could I do for the columns?
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

You may also try C-c ' in the D2 cell.
A new buffer displays the formula.
Moving the cursor through the formula highlights the involved cells.

* Re: table and field reference a la OO/LO
@ 2016-10-24  9:48   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-10-24  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Le 23/10/2016 18:33, Uwe Brauer a écrit :

   > Maybe you can try  C-c }  org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays

That is a great suggestions thanks
   > First outline the header (C-c -):

   > | 1/A |   B |  C |   D |
   > |-----+-----+----+-----|
   > |   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
   > |   3 |     |    |     |

You mean add a hline?

   > After C-c } rows and columns coordinates are shown:

   > |   1| 1/A |   B |  C |   D |
   > |I*1 |$1---+$2---+$3--+$4---|
   > |   2|   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |
   > |   3|   3 |     |    |     |

Thanks this is really what I was looking for.

* Re: table and field reference a la OO/LO
@ 2016-10-24  9:49   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-10-24  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Le 23/10/2016 18:33, Uwe Brauer a écrit :

   > You may also try C-c ' in the D2 cell.
   > A new buffer displays the formula.
   > Moving the cursor through the formula highlights the involved cells.

That is also very nifty, thanks

* Re: table and field reference a la OO/LO
@ 2016-10-24 19:06     ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2016-10-24 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 24/10/2016 11:48, Uwe Brauer a écrit :
>    > Le 23/10/2016 18:33, Uwe Brauer a écrit :
>
>    > Maybe you can try  C-c }  org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays
>
> That is a great suggestions thanks
>    > First outline the header (C-c -):
>
>    > | 1/A |   B |  C |   D |
>    > |   2 | 200 | 10 | 190 |