* Bug: property "CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL" is not inherted
@ 2018-01-01 12:00 Chen Zhang
From: Chen Zhang @ 2018-01-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

When using clock I prefer to set "CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL" to "current". Since
it's used frequently I want to set it as an upper level property (or a
global configuration). So I try to use property inheritance, but I failed.

After struggling 2 days I find the reason. The related function
"org-clock-get-sum-start" calls (org-entry-get nil "CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL")
to get the property value. But the INHERIT argument of org-entry-get is not
set. So this property doesn't use inheritance at all.

By checking the source I also found the variable
"org-clock-mode-line-total" can be used for global settings. So my problem
is partially solved.

During my investigation, I think the key problems are:
1. The Org manual only mentions CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL to change mode line
clock time. And it's easy to guide people like me to use property
inheritance to do global settings. But it doesn't work.
2. The org-clock-mode-line-total can be used as global settings. But it
doesn't mentioned in Org manual at all.

So I suggest to change code to something like (org-entry-get nil
"CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL" t) to use inheritance. If inheritance has to be
disabled for some reason (e.g performance). It's better to tell users in
the Org manual.

GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin17.0.0, NS appkit-1561.00 Version
10.13 (Build 17A405)) of 2017-11-07
Org mode version 9.1.4

Regards,

David Chen

* Re: Bug: property "CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL" is not inherted
@ 2018-01-03 21:57 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-01-03 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chen Zhang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Chen Zhang <darkbaby123@gmail.com> writes:

> During my investigation, I think the key problems are:
> 1. The Org manual only mentions CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL to change mode line
> clock time. And it's easy to guide people like me to use property
> inheritance to do global settings. But it doesn't work.

Indeed. Fixed.

> 2. The org-clock-mode-line-total can be used as global settings. But it
> doesn't mentioned in Org manual at all.

It is: (info "(org) Clocking commands"), third footnote.

> So I suggest to change code to something like (org-entry-get nil
> "CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL" t) to use inheritance.

I used `selective' instead of t for the argument.

> If inheritance has to be disabled for some reason (e.g performance).

I don't think performance for inherited properties is an issue anymore.

Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou