From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org files: Do not use overlays for PROPERTY and LOGBOOK drawers
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 21:52:40 +0800	[thread overview]

Hello,

[The patch itself will be provided in the following email]

I have five updates from the previous version of the patch:

1. I implemented a simplified version of element parsing to detect
changes in folded drawers or blocks. No computationally expensive calls
of org-element-at-point or org-element-parse-buffer are needed now.

2. The patch is now compatible with master (commit 2e96dc639). I
reverted the earlier change in folding drawers and blocks. Now, they are
back to using 'org-hide-block and 'org-hide-drawer. Using 'outline would
achieve nothing when we use text properties.

3. 'invisible text property can now be nested. This is important, for
example, when text inside drawers contains fontified links (which also
use 'invisible text property to hide parts of the link). Now, the old
'invisible spec is recovered after unfolding.

4. Some outline-* function calls in org referred to outline-flag-region
implementation, which is not in sync with org-flag-region in this patch.
I have implemented their org-* versions and replaced the calls
throughout .el files. Actually, some org-* versions were already
implemented in org, but not used for some reason (or not mentioned in
the manual). I have updated the relevant sections of manual. These
changes might be relevant to org independently of this feature branch.

5. I have managed to get a working version of outline folding via text
properties. However, that approach has a big downside - folding state
cannot be different in indirect buffer when we use text properties. I
have seen packages relying on this feature of org and I do not see any
obvious way to achieve different folding state in indirect buffer while
using text properties for outline folding.

More details on the new implementation for tracking changes:

> Of course we can. It is only necessary to focus on changes that would
> break the structure of the element. This does not entail a full parsing.

I have limited parsing to matching beginning and end of a drawer/block.
The basic functions are org--get-element-region-at-point,
org--get-next-element-region-at-point, and org--find-elements-in-region.
They are simplified versions of org-element-* parsers and do not require
parsing everything from the beginning of the section.

For now, I keep everything in org.el, but those simplified parsers
probably belong to org-element.el.

> If we can stick with `after-change-functions' (or local equivalent),
> that's better. It is more predictable than `before-change-functions' and
> alike.

For now, I still used before/after-change-functions combination.
I see the following problems with using only after-change-functions:

1. They are not guaranteed to be called after every single change:

From (elisp) Change Hooks:
"... some complex primitives call ‘before-change-functions’ once before
making changes, and then call ‘after-change-functions’ zero or more
times"

The consequence of it is a possibility that region passed to the
after-change-functions is quite big (including all the singular changes,
even if they are distant). This region may contain changed drawers as
well and unchanged drawers and needs to be parsed to determine which
drawers need to be re-folded.

> And, more importantly, they are not meant to be used together, i.e., you
> cannot assume that a single call to `before-change-functions' always
> happens before calling `after-change-functions'. This can be tricky if
> you want to use the former to pass information to the latter.

The fact that before-change-functions can be called multiple times
before after-change-functions, is trivially solved by using buffer-local
changes register (see org--modified-elements). The register is populated
by before-change-functions and cleared by after-change-functions.

> Well, `before-change-fuctions' and `after-change-functions' are not
> clean at all: you modify an unrelated part of the buffer, but still call
> those to check if a drawer needs to be unfolded somewhere.

2. As you pointed, instead of global before-change-functions, we can use
modification-hooks text property on sensitive parts of the
drawers/blocks. This would work, but I am concerned about one annoying
special case:

:BLAH: <inserted outside any of the existing drawers>

<some text>

:DRAWER: <folded>
Donec at pede.
:END:
In this example, the user would not be able to unfold the folder DRAWER
because it will technically become a part of a new giant BLAH drawer.
This may be especially annoying if <some text> is more than one screen
long and there is no easy way to identify why unfolding does not work
(with point at :DRAWER:).

Because of this scenario, limiting before-change-functions to folded
drawers is not sufficient. Any change in text may need to trigger
unfolding.

In the patch, I always register possible modifications in the
blocks/drawers intersecting with the modified region + a drawer/block
right next to the region.

More details on the nested 'invisible text property implementation.

The idea is to keep 'invisible property stack push and popping from it
as we add/remove 'invisible text property. All the work is done in
org-flag-region.

This was originally intended for folding outlines via text properties.
Since using text properties for folding outlines is not a good idea,
nested text properties have much less use. As I mentioned, they do
preserve link fontification, but I am not sure if it worth it for the
overhead to org-flag-region. Keeping this here mostly in the case if
someone has any ideas how it can be useful.

More details on replaced outline-* -> org-* function calls.

I have implemented org-* versions of the following functions:

- outline-hide-entry
- outline-hide-subtree
- outline-hide-sublevels
- outline-show-heading
- outline-show-branches

The org-* versions trivially use org-flag-region instead of
outline-flag-region.

Replaced outline-* calls where org- versions were already available:

- outline-show-entry
- outline-show-all
- outline-show-subtree

I reflected the new (including already available) functions in the
manual and removed some defalias from org-compat.el where they are not
needed.

Further work:

1. after-change-functions use org-hide-drawer/block-toggle to
fold/unfold after modification. However, I just found that they call
org-element-at-point, which slows down modifications in folded
drawers/blocks. For example, realigning a long table inside folded
drawer takes >1sec, while it is instant in the unfolded drawer.

2. org-toggle-custom-properties is terribly slow on large org documents,
similarly to folded drawers on master. It should be relatively easy to
use text properties there instead of overlays.

3. Multiple calls to before/after-change-functions is still a problem. I
am looking into following ways to reduce this number:
 - reduce the number of elements registered as potentially modified
   + do not add duplicates to org--modified-elements
   + do not add unfolded elements to org--modified-elements
   + register after-change-function as post-command hook and remove it
     from global after-change-functions. This way, it will be called
     twice per command only.
 - determine common region containing org--modified-elements. if change
   is happening within that region, there is no need to parse
   drawers/blocks there again.

P.S.

>> It was mostly an annoyance, because they returned different results on
>> the same element. Specifically, they returned different :post-blank and
>> :end properties, which does not sound right.
>
> OK. If you have a reproducible recipe, I can look into it and see what
> can be done.

Recipe to have different (org-element-at-point) and
(org-element-parse-buffer 'element)
<point-min>
:PROPERTIES:
:CREATED:  [2020-05-23 Sat 02:32]