* how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-22 21:23 Rich E
From: Rich E @ 2008-10-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I just have a simple question:  how can I wrap the headings so they
don't go off the visual window?

Thanks,
Rich

* Re: how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-22 22:16 ` Mike Newman
From: Mike Newman @ 2008-10-22 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:23:54 +0200
"Rich E" <reakinator@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just have a simple question:  how can I wrap the headings so they
> don't go off the visual window?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

A simple approach that will work for all lines is
'toggle-truncate-lines'.

If you are using a recent development version of Emacs, you can try
'visual-line-mode', which will also affect all lines in the file.

--
Mike

* Re: how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-22 22:19 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Rich E" <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:

> I just have a simple question:  how can I wrap the headings so they
> don't go off the visual window?

M-x set-truncate-lines

It toggles line wrapping on and off.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-23  0:44   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-23  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Funny enough, yesterday I wrote this one here:

(defun my-toggle-truncate-lines ()
   "Toggle truncate-lines."
   (interactive)
   (setq truncate-lines (if truncate-lines nil t)))

I've bound it to H-t (I like those windows keys in Linux/GNU :-) and use
it a lot (since yesterday). It's so usefull, that I wonder if something
like this is in emacs already???

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> "Rich E" <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just have a simple question:  how can I wrap the headings so they
>> don't go off the visual window?
>
> M-x set-truncate-lines
>
> It toggles line wrapping on and off.
>
> -Bernt

* Re: Re: how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-23 14:23     ` Rich E
From: Rich E @ 2008-10-23 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastian_rose, emacs-orgmode

ah, very nice and easy.  That was the call I was looking for.

So now I have toggle-truncate-lines bound to C-x-q, but I cannot use
it in the file I want, which is in Python mode. I get the message "Not
defining or executing kbd macro".

I have it bound like this:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x q") 'toggle-truncate-lines)

.. maybe there is a better way to bind it?  I'm just kindof hacking at
the .emacs file, don't really know the api well.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> Funny enough, yesterday I wrote this one here:
>

> (defun my-toggle-truncate-lines ()
>  "Toggle truncate-lines."
>  (interactive)
>  (setq truncate-lines (if truncate-lines nil t)))
>

> I've bound it to H-t (I like those windows keys in Linux/GNU :-) and use
> it a lot (since yesterday). It's so usefull, that I wonder if something
> like this is in emacs already???
>

> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>
>> "Rich E" <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just have a simple question:  how can I wrap the headings so they
>>> don't go off the visual window?
>>
>> M-x set-truncate-lines
>>
>> It toggles line wrapping on and off.
>>
>> -Bernt

* Re: Re: how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-23 15:09       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-23 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Rich E wrote:
  > ah, very nice and easy.  That was the call I was looking for.
  >
  > So now I have toggle-truncate-lines bound to C-x-q, but I cannot use
  > it in the file I want, which is in Python mode. I get the message "Not
  > defining or executing kbd macro".
  >
  > I have it bound like this:
  >
  > (global-set-key (kbd "C-x q") 'toggle-truncate-lines)
  >
  > .. maybe there is a better way to bind it?  I'm just kindof hacking at
  > the .emacs file, don't really know the api well.

[1] helped me.

Do note I am not recommending tiny-tools.. not that I have any
personal experience with it but this guy sure does [2].

1. http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/emacs-keys.html
2. http://obsidianrook.com/devnotes/whinery/beware-tinytools.html

HTH
-- Manish

* Re: Re: how to wrap headings
@ 2008-10-23 15:12       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Rich E" <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:
> ah, very nice and easy.  That was the call I was looking for.
>
> So now I have toggle-truncate-lines bound to C-x-q, but I cannot use
> it in the file I want, which is in Python mode. I get the message "Not
> defining or executing kbd macro".
>
> I have it bound like this:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x q") 'toggle-truncate-lines)
>
> .. maybe there is a better way to bind it?  I'm just kindof hacking at
> the .emacs file, don't really know the api well.

Yes, that's why I prefer the windows keys for my own global short cuts:

(global-set-key (kbd "H-x q") 'toggle-truncate-lines)

I use it the third day now or so, and I wonder how could live without it
all those years :-)

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover

Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de