* Org protocol and new frame for remember
@ 2009-06-01 19:57 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-01 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've recently begun to use org-protocol. I've been using it with the
intriguing emacs-inspired browser Conkeror,[1] and, with the help of a nice
blog post by Tassilo, have worked out a basic way to send snippets from
the browser to remember via org-protocol. I've posted my hacks at the
bottom of the org-protocol page on Worg. (My apologies to

http://tsdh.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/calling-org-remember-from-inside-conkeror/

Footnotes:

[1]

* Re: Org protocol and new frame for remember
@ 2009-06-01 20:12 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-01 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

My apologies for the initial post fragment. (Note to self: C-c C-c
binding for jumping to footnote reference does not work in Gnus!)

Let's try this again:

Hi all,

I've recently begun to use org-protocol. I've been using it with the
intriguing emacs-inspired browser Conkeror.[1] With the help of a nice
blog post by Tassilo,[2] I have worked out a basic way to send snippets
from the browser to remember via org-protocol. The great thing about
Conkeror is that you can invoke org-remember the same way you do in
emacs (either with M-x org-remember or, via a custom keybinding, with
C-c r).

I've posted my hacks at the bottom of the org-protocol page on Worg. Any
advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#conkeror-setup

(My apologies to Sebastian if these should go somewhere else -- feel
free to move them!)

As I experiment with the fabulous org-protocol, I wonder whether I've
missed a variable in org-protocol that tells the function
org-protocol-remember to create a *temporary* new frame (i.e., one that
pops up above the browser and then disappears after typing C-c C-c).

I know I can set the variable remember-in-new-frame to t, but I would
ideally like the new frame only for org-protocol-remember and not for
other invocations of remember. My current solution is to advise the
function org-protocol-remember (i.e., to set remember-in-new-frame
locally for that function).

But I thought it might be a nice addition to org-protocol if there were
a variable that accomplishes this (e.g.,
org-protocol-remember-in-new-frame). I'd be eager to know if I am
missing a current way to do this.

Thanks,

Matt

Footnotes:

[1] http://conkeror.org/

[2] http://tsdh.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/calling-org-remember-from-inside-conkeror/

* Re: Re: Org protocol and new frame for remember
@ 2009-06-02  9:02   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-02  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
> My apologies for the initial post fragment. (Note to self: C-c C-c
> binding for jumping to footnote reference does not work in Gnus!)
>
> Let's try this again:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently begun to use org-protocol. I've been using it with the
> intriguing emacs-inspired browser Conkeror.[1] With the help of a nice
> blog post by Tassilo,[2] I have worked out a basic way to send snippets
> from the browser to remember via org-protocol. The great thing about
> Conkeror is that you can invoke org-remember the same way you do in
> emacs (either with M-x org-remember or, via a custom keybinding, with
> C-c r).
>
> I've posted my hacks at the bottom of the org-protocol page on Worg. Any
> advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#conkeror-setup
>
> (My apologies to Sebastian if these should go somewhere else -- feel
> free to move them!)

Thanks for adding this!
Maybe we'll split the page one day because of it's shear size and add
links to certain setups. But for now I'm glad to see people adding stuff
like that :)

> As I experiment with the fabulous org-protocol, I wonder whether I've
> missed a variable in org-protocol that tells the function
> org-protocol-remember to create a *temporary* new frame (i.e., one that
> pops up above the browser and then disappears after typing C-c C-c).
>
> I know I can set the variable remember-in-new-frame to t, but I would
> ideally like the new frame only for org-protocol-remember and not for
> other invocations of remember. My current solution is to advise the
> function org-protocol-remember (i.e., to set remember-in-new-frame
> locally for that function).
>
> But I thought it might be a nice addition to org-protocol if there were
> a variable that accomplishes this (e.g.,
> org-protocol-remember-in-new-frame). I'd be eager to know if I am
> missing a current way to do this.

Such a variable does not exist. org-protocol does nothing especially
related to  org-remember. org-protocol://remember:/ is just one of the
pre-defined statndard handlers.

But you could as well define your own handler that behaves
differently. Maybe just copying `org-protocol-remember' from
lisp/org-protocol.el as a starting point.

Reading
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-protocol-custom-handler.php
should help (if it doesn't, please let us know what's missing).

Best

   Sebastian

* Re: Org protocol and new frame for remember
@ 2009-06-02 15:37     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

>> But I thought it might be a nice addition to org-protocol if there were
>> a variable that accomplishes this (e.g.,
>> org-protocol-remember-in-new-frame). I'd be eager to know if I am
>> missing a current way to do this.
>
> Such a variable does not exist. org-protocol does nothing especially
> related to  org-remember. org-protocol://remember:/ is just one of the
> pre-defined statndard handlers.
>
> But you could as well define your own handler that behaves
> differently. Maybe just copying `org-protocol-remember' from
> lisp/org-protocol.el as a starting point.
>
> Reading
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-protocol-custom-handler.php
> should help (if it doesn't, please let us know what's missing).

Thanks for the tip. I had given cursory glance to the custom handler
page, but now have incentive for closer study.

Best,
Matt