* org-insert-drawer completion targets
@ 2014-10-29 17:35 Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2014-10-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how drawers work. I see that `C-c C-x d`
provides automatic drawer insertion, and wraps around the region if
active. However, `LOGBOOK` is explicitly excluded from the completion
targets. However, I don't see another way to add a LOGBOOK without
typing the word out manually. This seems strange - is there another
shortcut for adding LOGBOOK drawers? If not, why isn't it allowed as a
completion target?

I'm not complaining, just confused about the preferred workflow for
LOGBOOK drawers.

Best,

Tyler

Org-mode version 8.2.8 (8.2.8-elpaplus @
/home/tws/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20141006/)

* Re: org-insert-drawer completion targets
@ 2014-10-29 18:10 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-10-29 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tyler Smith <tyler@plantarum.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how drawers work. I see that `C-c C-x d`
> provides automatic drawer insertion, and wraps around the region if
> active. However, `LOGBOOK` is explicitly excluded from the completion
> targets. However, I don't see another way to add a LOGBOOK without
> typing the word out manually. This seems strange - is there another
> shortcut for adding LOGBOOK drawers? If not, why isn't it allowed as a
> completion target?
>
> I'm not complaining, just confused about the preferred workflow for
> LOGBOOK drawers.

If you've got org-log-into-drawer set to a non-nil value, the drawer
should be created automatically for you the first time you take a note
on the heading (org-add-note), or switch TODO states in such a way that
records a state-change note. Those are the two purposes of the LOGBOOK
drawer, so you might as well use one or the other to create the drawer.

HTH,
Eric

* Re: org-insert-drawer completion targets
@ 2014-10-30 15:07   ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2014-10-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 02:10 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> If you've got org-log-into-drawer set to a non-nil value, the drawer
> should be created automatically for you the first time you take a note
> on the heading (org-add-note), or switch TODO states in such a way that
> records a state-change note. Those are the two purposes of the LOGBOOK
> drawer, so you might as well use one or the other to create the drawer.

Thanks. I guess I was re-inventing the notes feature without
understanding how the existing setup worked. It makes sense now.

Best,

Tyler