* How to use Calc constants in an Org table?
@ 2015-02-05 11:20 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-05 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Orgers,

I'd like Org to compute Fibonacci numbers for me (using a simplified
Binet formula, i.e., Fib(n)=round(phi^n)/sqrt(5)).  Here's my
(unsuccessful) attempt:

| n | Fib(n)                   |
|---+--------------------------|
| 1 | round(phi / 2.2360680)   |
| 2 | round(phi^2 / 2.2360680) |
| 3 | round(phi^3 / 2.2360680) |
| 4 | round(phi^4 / 2.2360680) |
| 5 | round(phi^5 / 2.2360680) |
| 6 | round(phi^6 / 2.2360680) |
| 7 | round(phi^7 / 2.2360680) |
| 8 | round(phi^8 / 2.2360680) |
#+TBLFM: @3$1..@>$1=1+@-1::@2$2..@>$2=round(phi^$1/sqrt(5))

I tried adding the line
#+CONSTANTS: phi=1.61803398875
to the file (and C-c C-c'd on it), but to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to use Calc constants in an Org table?
@ 2015-02-06  0:47 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-02-06  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hello Orgers,
>
> I'd like Org to compute Fibonacci numbers for me (using a simplified
> Binet formula, i.e., Fib(n)=round(phi^n)/sqrt(5)).  Here's my
> (unsuccessful) attempt:
>
> | n | Fib(n)                   |
> |---+--------------------------|
> | 1 | round(phi / 2.2360680)   |
> | 2 | round(phi^2 / 2.2360680) |
> | 3 | round(phi^3 / 2.2360680) |
> | 4 | round(phi^4 / 2.2360680) |
> | 5 | round(phi^5 / 2.2360680) |
> | 6 | round(phi^6 / 2.2360680) |
> | 7 | round(phi^7 / 2.2360680) |
> | 8 | round(phi^8 / 2.2360680) |
>
> #+TBLFM: @3$1..@>$1=1+@-1::@2$2..@>$2=round(phi^$1/sqrt(5))
>
> I tried adding the line
>
> #+CONSTANTS: phi=1.61803398875
> to the file (and C-c C-c'd on it), but to no avail.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

References to constants need to be prefixed with a "$". So replacing the
"phi" with "$phi" in the table formula should do what you want.

Eric

* Re: How to use Calc constants in an Org table?
@ 2015-02-06 10:23   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-06 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-02-06, at 01:47, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> References to constants need to be prefixed with a "$". So replacing the
> "phi" with "$phi" in the table formula should do what you want.

Thanks a lot!  It works, of course.  (I /did/ RTFM, but missed that sentence...)