* Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-23 12:14 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2016-07-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

The Org example below used to work correctly when exported as HTML until
I pulled a newer version of Org from git. I am first going to include
the example here, and then explain the reasoning behind its structure.

* Example

  This call here produced HTML output when exported as HTML until the
  newer versions of Org. Now it produces no HTML output whatsoever.

  #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results html

  The following code blocks still work as expected.

  #+NAME: rekursio-pystyviivat-runko
  #+BEGIN_SRC processing :exports none
    if (viivoja == 0)
    return;

    line (x, 0, x, korkeus);
    piirraPystyviivat (viivoja - 1, x + 10, 0.9 * korkeus);
  #+END_SRC

  #+NAME: rekursio-pystyviivat
  #+BEGIN_SRC processing :exports code :noweb no
    void piirraPystyviivat (int viivoja, float x, float korkeus)
    {
      <<rekursio-pystyviivat-runko>>
    }

    void setup ()
    {
      size (600, 400);
      noLoop ();
    }

    void draw ()
    {
      piirraPystyviivat (50, 10, 350);
    }
  #+END_SRC

In the example above I am playing with noweb to produce the following
_excellent_ teaching effect:

- the last Babel code block is what a student sees

- the student is supposed to replace
  <<rekursio-pystyviivat-runko>>
  with correct code, in this case the body of a recursive function

- the last block has ":noweb no" so that the missing part is not
  replaced by the correct solution

- in the CALL, however, noweb is set to yes so that noweb replacement is
  done, and the first block produces the correct output (in the case of
  Processing language, this is a picture)

I use this structure quite a bit in my material, which is finished
except for layout formatting. So I am going to be in trouble if I can no
longer get the logic to work in Org.

Jarmo

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-23 12:48 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2016-07-23 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>   #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results html

HTML blocks have been replaced with EXPORT blocks in recent Org. For
good reasons, I presume, but it takes some getting used to.

Try:

    #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results export html

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-23 13:03   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2016-07-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

>>   #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results html
>
> HTML blocks have been replaced with EXPORT blocks in recent Org. For
> good reasons, I presume, but it takes some getting used to.
>
> Try:
>
>     #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results export html

Greetings Christian,

for some reason that did not improve the end result.

The funny thing is, if you press C-c C-c in the Org file at the location
of that CALL, it produces the correct HTML (try). But it is missing from
the automatically exported HTML file (try it too).

@ 2016-07-23 16:10 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-23 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Jarmo Hurri wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> The Org example below used to work correctly when exported as HTML until
> I pulled a newer version of Org from git. I am first going to include
> the example here, and then explain the reasoning behind its structure.

Commit dbb375f mades changes to the babel call handling.

IIUC, one result is that header args in the src block being called take
precedence over default header args. More below.

> * Example
>
>  This call here produced HTML output when exported as HTML until the
>  newer versions of Org. Now it produces no HTML output whatsoever.
>
>  #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results html

Try this:

#+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes :exports results]() :results html

>  The following code blocks still work as expected.

[snip]

Since you have `:exports code' here, that prevents the evaluation of the
babel call above:

>  #+NAME: rekursio-pystyviivat
>  #+BEGIN_SRC processing :exports code :noweb no
>    void piirraPystyviivat (int viivoja, float x, float korkeus)
>    {
>      <<rekursio-pystyviivat-runko>>
>    }
>
>    void setup ()
>    {
>      size (600, 400);
>      noLoop ();
>    }
>
>    void draw ()
>    {
>      piirraPystyviivat (50, 10, 350);
>    }
>  #+END_SRC

I am not sure I find this new behavior to be an improvement.

Chuck

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-23 16:51   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> IIUC, one result is that header args in the src block being called take
> precedence over default header args. More below.

[...]

> I am not sure I find this new behavior to be an improvement.

Having default header args to take precedence over local ones seems
counter-intuitive. It makes it harder to override them, and harder to
reason about the current active headers.

OTOH, inheriting :exports property may not be optimal. In particular,
":exports code" for a Babel call is probably nonsensical. Perhaps
a solution would be to keep the current behaviour and make an exception
for :exports, which would always be `results' for Babel calls.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-23 16:52   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2016-07-23 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
>> The Org example below used to work correctly when exported as HTML
>> until I pulled a newer version of Org from git. I am first going to
>> include the example here, and then explain the reasoning behind its
>> structure.
>>

> Commit dbb375f mades changes to the babel call handling.
>
> IIUC, one result is that header args in the src block being called
> take precedence over default header args. More below.

>> * Example
>>
>>  This call here produced HTML output when exported as HTML until the
>>  newer versions of Org. Now it produces no HTML output whatsoever.
>>
>>  #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results html
>>

> Try this:
>
> #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes :exports results]() :results html

Yes! It works now, thank you very, very much. More below.

> Since you have `:exports code' here, that prevents the evaluation of the
> babel call above:
>

>>  #+NAME: rekursio-pystyviivat
>>  #+BEGIN_SRC processing :exports code :noweb no
>
> I am not sure I find this new behavior to be an improvement.

The new behaviour actually makes sense to me: I need to override all the
parameters from the original Babel block. If this is really the case, I
am more than fine with it: I think it makes the system more logical and
provides full control.

Again, thanks!

@ 2016-07-23 22:16     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-23 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> IIUC, one result is that header args in the src block being called take
>> precedence over default header args. More below.
>
> [...]
>
>> I am not sure I find this new behavior to be an improvement.
>
> Having default header args to take precedence over local ones seems
> counter-intuitive. It makes it harder to override them, and harder to
> reason about the current active headers.
>
> OTOH, inheriting :exports property may not be optimal. In particular,
> ":exports code" for a Babel call is probably nonsensical. Perhaps
> a solution would be to keep the current behaviour and make an exception
> for :exports, which would always be `results' for Babel calls.
>
> WDYT?

I think that would work well enough.

Although I might quibble about what 'local' means here. If the src block
is under a headline called XYZ with a `header-args' property of `:eval no'
and the babel call is under headline ABC with no header-args
property, I think some would expect the default to take precedence for
calls under ABC over the property in XYZ.

Chuck

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-24 17:00     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2016-07-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri writes:

>> Try:
>>
>>     #+CALL: rekursio-pystyviivat[:noweb yes]() :results export html
>
> Greetings Christian,
>
> for some reason that did not improve the end result.

Sorry, I had that solution freshly in mind from a different problem
(involving #+INCLUDE, not #+CALL), and typed without thinking. I see
Charles Berry had the right answer.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-25  7:08       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-25  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

>> OTOH, inheriting :exports property may not be optimal. In particular,
>> ":exports code" for a Babel call is probably nonsensical. Perhaps
>> a solution would be to keep the current behaviour and make an exception
>> for :exports, which would always be `results' for Babel calls.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I think that would work well enough.

Funnily, that's what the previous evaluation process did.

I was confused by the "default" part in
`org-babel-default-lob-header-args'. I realize that this variable is no
replacement for `org-babel-default-header-args'. It permits to override
headers inherited from the source block instead.

This is now fixed. I updated variable docstring accordingly.

> Although I might quibble about what 'local' means here. If the src
> block is under a headline called XYZ with a `header-args' property of
> `:eval no' and the babel call is under headline ABC with no
> header-args property, I think some would expect the default to take
> precedence for calls under ABC over the property in XYZ.

The point is that a Babel call without any header argument or node
property defined at point of call should behave exactly as the src block
being called (minus the :exports behaviour, per above).

It seems logical to me that a source block that cannot be evaled cannot
be, by default, called either.

You may want to add (:eval . "yes") to
`org-babel-default-lob-header-args' if you disagree.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-25  7:48         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-07-25  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode, Charles C. Berry

Aloha Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>>> OTOH, inheriting :exports property may not be optimal. In particular,
>>> ":exports code" for a Babel call is probably nonsensical. Perhaps
>>> a solution would be to keep the current behaviour and make an exception
>>> for :exports, which would always be `results' for Babel calls.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> I think that would work well enough.
>
> Funnily, that's what the previous evaluation process did.
>
> I was confused by the "default" part in
> `org-babel-default-lob-header-args'. I realize that this variable is no
> replacement for `org-babel-default-header-args'. It permits to override
> headers inherited from the source block instead.
>
> This is now fixed. I updated variable docstring accordingly.
>
>> Although I might quibble about what 'local' means here. If the src
>> block is under a headline called XYZ with a `header-args' property of
>> `:eval no' and the babel call is under headline ABC with no
>> header-args property, I think some would expect the default to take
>> precedence for calls under ABC over the property in XYZ.
>
> The point is that a Babel call without any header argument or node
> property defined at point of call should behave exactly as the src block
> being called (minus the :exports behaviour, per above).
>
> It seems logical to me that a source block that cannot be evaled cannot
> be, by default, called either.
>
> You may want to add (:eval . "yes") to
> `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' if you disagree.

Perhaps this should be added to the default value of
org-babel-default-lob-header-args for the sake of legacy code?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-25  8:01           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-25  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode, Charles C. Berry

Hello,

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>
>> You may want to add (:eval . "yes") to
>> `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' if you disagree.
>
> Perhaps this should be added to the default value of
> org-babel-default-lob-header-args for the sake of legacy code?

I don't think so, for three reasons:

1. `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' didn't include this association previously;

2. unlike to :exports, there is no obvious default value for the :eval
   argument; the expected default value would be to unset :eval, which
   requires another mechanism;

3. I think it is dangerous to assume and Babel call can be evaled, even if
   the original source block cannot; after all, the user explicitly
   marked the original code block with ":eval no" for a reason.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-25 15:55             ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>>
>>> You may want to add (:eval . "yes") to
>>> `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' if you disagree.
>>
>> Perhaps this should be added to the default value of
>> org-babel-default-lob-header-args for the sake of legacy code?
>
> I don't think so, for three reasons:
>
> 1. `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' didn't include this association previously;
>
> 2. unlike to :exports, there is no obvious default value for the :eval
>   argument; the expected default value would be to unset :eval, which
>   requires another mechanism;
>
> 3. I think it is dangerous to assume and Babel call can be evaled, even if
>   the original source block cannot; after all, the user explicitly
>   marked the original code block with ":eval no" for a reason.

Fair enough.

I can think of reasons why a user would want to do this, but the current
setup accomodates those pretty well.

Chuck

* Re: Babel CALL no longer produces HTML output
@ 2016-07-25 17:27             ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-07-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode, Charles C. Berry

Aloha,

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>>
>>> You may want to add (:eval . "yes") to
>>> `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' if you disagree.
>>
>> Perhaps this should be added to the default value of
>> org-babel-default-lob-header-args for the sake of legacy code?
>
> I don't think so, for three reasons:
>
> 1. `org-babel-default-lob-header-args' didn't include this association previously;
>
> 2. unlike to :exports, there is no obvious default value for the :eval
>    argument; the expected default value would be to unset :eval, which
>    requires another mechanism;
>
> 3. I think it is dangerous to assume and Babel call can be evaled, even if
>    the original source block cannot; after all, the user explicitly
>    marked the original code block with ":eval no" for a reason.
>
> WDYT?

I agree with the logic behind the changes.  My suggestion is intended to
keep legacy code functioning as it did when it was written, that's all.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye