* [beamer &/or latex export] problem with old style footnotes
@ 2010-01-06 23:47 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-01-06 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten,

In latex, I often use a simple \begin{itemize} with labelled items, as in

\begin{itemize}
\item [3] This will be labelled with 3 instead of a bullet
\item [$\checkmark$] This will have a checkmark in lieu of the bullet
\end{itemize}

In org-mode, with beamer mode, I can do this except for the cases
where the replacement text is just a number as org-mode seems to treat
this as a footnote.  I have fninline set in the startup as well as
org-footnote-define-inline set to t globally but the export still
treats these old style footnotes as footnotes.

I saw the following:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/20073

which seems to indicate you did something to hopefully fix this (I'm
not bothered about the font-lock issue at all, by the way).

I've attached a simple org-mode beamer example.

Thanks,
eric

PS - interestingly, but not annoyingly, "- [$\checkmark$]" doesn't
     work but "- [\checkmark]" does to replace a bullet with a checkmark.

[-- Attachment #2: beamertest.org --]

#+TITLE: Presentation with Org-Mode and Beamer
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2009-11-24 Tue
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

#+startup: beamer
#+startup: fninline

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_options: [presentation]
#+beamer_frame_level: 2
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* Introduction
*** The first slide
- The first point
   1. <1-> I would like to say this @emphatically@.
   2. <2-> and this but in *bold*.
   3. <3-> but also this /emphasised/.
- the second point[fn:1: This is a real intended footnote] which has very little to say really but tests out direct labelling of items:
  - [1] The first sub-item
  - [3] The third (although in second place) sub-item
  - [\checkmark] Just to show this works
* The guts of the presentation
*** and more
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_extra:
    :END:
***** this is a short column					      :BMCOL:
which should appear by itself first and afterwards, with a pause, followed by the second column.
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_col: 0.2
      :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
      :END:
      \note[item]{This is a note about this item}
***** <2-> second column 					      :BMCOL:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_col: 0.7
      :END:
      - but this one is much
      - much
      - much
      - longer
*** and less
***** first column					      :BMCOL:B_block:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_env: block
      :BEAMER_col: 0.6
      :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
      :END:
      - an item with enough text to show the width of the column
      - another item
***** second column					      :BMCOL:B_block:
      :PROPERTIES:
      :BEAMER_env: block
      :BEAMER_col: 0.3
      :BEAMER_envargs:
      :END:
      - an item with enough text to show the width of the column
      - and yet another

* Re: [beamer &/or latex export] problem with old style footnotes
@ 2010-01-08 16:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-08 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

On Jan 7, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> In latex, I often use a simple \begin{itemize} with labelled items,
> as in
>
> \begin{itemize}
> \item [3] This will be labelled with 3 instead of a bullet
> \item [$\checkmark$] This will have a checkmark in lieu of the bullet
> \end{itemize}
>
> In org-mode, with beamer mode, I can do this except for the cases
> where the replacement text is just a number as org-mode seems to treat
> this as a footnote.  I have fninline set in the startup as well as
> org-footnote-define-inline set to t globally but the export still
> treats these old style footnotes as footnotes.

Hmm, this is not an easy thing.  The syntax you are using is entirely
LaTeX specific, so it will fail in other export backends.
Therefore I am hesitating to put this in as a standard feature.

If you want to have this, you could do the following.  It installs
a function into the export process that will protect such item
bullets from further processing.  The regexp looks quite
complex - this is only because there are 5 different
types of bullets and we also must make sure that a level
1 headline will not be mistaken for a plain list item.
What this really does is finding square brackets at
the beginning of an item, and adding a text property to prevent
further processing.

Hope that does what you need.

- Carsten

(defun protect-item-bullets ()
   (goto-char (point-min))
   (while (re-search-forward
	  "\\([ \t]*\\([-+]\\|\\([0-9]+[.)]\\)\\)\\|[ \t]+\\*\\) +\\(\\[[^]
[\n]+\\] \\)" nil t)
     (put-text-property (match-beginning 4) (match-end 4) 'org-
protected t)))

(add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook 'protect-item-bullets)

* Re: [beamer &/or latex export] problem with old style footnotes
@ 2010-01-08 19:27   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-01-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Fri, 8 Jan 2010 17:47:06 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Jan 7, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
> > Carsten,
> >
> > In latex, I often use a simple \begin{itemize} with labelled items,
> > as in
> >
> > \begin{itemize}
> > \item [3] This will be labelled with 3 instead of a bullet
> > \item [$\checkmark$] This will have a checkmark in lieu of the bullet
> > \end{itemize}
> >
> > In org-mode, with beamer mode, I can do this except for the cases
> > where the replacement text is just a number as org-mode seems to treat
> > this as a footnote.  I have fninline set in the startup as well as
> > org-footnote-define-inline set to t globally but the export still
> > treats these old style footnotes as footnotes.
>

> Hmm, this is not an easy thing.  The syntax you are using is entirely
> LaTeX specific, so it will fail in other export backends.
> Therefore I am hesitating to put this in as a standard feature.

That makes sense... I have such a latex centric view at times (both
because of lecture preparations and writing academic papers) that I
forget about other export targets!  <blush>

> If you want to have this, you could do the following.  It installs

[...]

> Hope that does what you need.

Actually, just yesterday I found that simply adding a space to the
bracketed entry, such as "[ 2]", solves the problem for org-mode and
doesn't affect the latex at all.

Thanks,
eric