* Cannot open load file: inf-ruby
@ 2010-09-02 12:48 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2010-09-02 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm having trouble getting ruby scripts to run in org-babel.

I'm running Org 7.01 trans.

With this example, I get the message "Cannot load file: inf-ruby" after
I press C-c C-c with the cursor on the #+begin_src line

#+begin_src ruby
puts "hello world"
return 1
#+end_src

I have ruby installed, and can run it from the command line.
I can run the following Python snippet just fine:
#+begin_src python
"boo"
return 3
#+end_src python

I've tried executing this line in my Scratch buffer and in the same buffer
that my ruby-code is in:

 (org-babel-do-load-languages
  'org-babel-load-languages
  '((R . t)
    (ditaa . t)
    (dot . t)
    (emacs-lisp . t)
    (gnuplot . t)
    (haskell . nil)
    (ocaml . nil)
    (python . t)
    (ruby . t)
    (screen . nil)
    (sh . t)
    (sql . nil)
    (sqlite . t)))

Can someone post a bare-bones setup that can run ruby scripts from
org-babel?

* Re: Cannot open load file: inf-ruby
@ 2010-09-02 14:59 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-02 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting ruby scripts to run in org-babel.
>
> I'm running Org 7.01 trans.
>
> With this example, I get the message "Cannot load file: inf-ruby" after
> I press C-c C-c with the cursor on the #+begin_src line

ob-ruby.el says:

,----
| ;;; Requirements:
|
| ;; - ruby and irb executables :: http://www.ruby-lang.org/
| ;;
| ;; - ruby-mode :: Can be installed through ELPA, or from
| ;;   http://github.com/eschulte/rinari/raw/master/util/ruby-mode.el
| ;;
| ;; - inf-ruby mode :: Can be installed through ELPA, or from
| ;;   http://github.com/eschulte/rinari/raw/master/util/inf-ruby.el
`----

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Cannot open load file: inf-ruby
@ 2010-09-02 15:06 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nate,

Some languages have requirements on external elisp packages, (e.g. ruby
requires inf-ruby, lisp/clojure require slime, etc...).  There
requirements are listed in the table at [1].  Inf-ruby can be loaded
through ELPA [2], or through the link in the languages table below.

That said, ruby should only be requiring inf-ruby on :session
evaluation, but it was requiring inf-ruby on *every* evaluation.  I've
fixed this so it should now be possible to run non :session ruby code
blocks without having inf-ruby installed.

Best -- Eric

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble getting ruby scripts to run in org-babel.
>
> I'm running Org 7.01 trans.
>
> With this example, I get the message "Cannot load file: inf-ruby" after
> I press C-c C-c with the cursor on the #+begin_src line
>
> #+begin_src ruby
> puts "hello world"
> return 1
> #+end_src
>
> I have ruby installed, and can run it from the command line.
> I can run the following Python snippet just fine:
> #+begin_src python
> "boo"
> return 3
> #+end_src python
>
> I've tried executing this line in my Scratch buffer and in the same buffer
> that my ruby-code is in:
>

>  (org-babel-do-load-languages
>   'org-babel-load-languages
>   '((R . t)
>     (ditaa . t)
>     (dot . t)
>     (emacs-lisp . t)
>     (gnuplot . t)
>     (haskell . nil)
>     (ocaml . nil)
>     (python . t)
>     (ruby . t)
>     (screen . nil)
>     (sh . t)
>     (sql . nil)
>     (sqlite . t)))
>
> Can someone post a bare-bones setup that can run ruby scripts from
> org-babel?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.php

[2]  http://tromey.com/elpa/