* won't emacs kick into org mode for any file with a ".org" suffix?
@ 2012-09-08 18:59 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

  currently working my way thru the manual and section 1.3,
"Activation", explains how to add a line to your .emacs file to
guarantee that any ".org" file will open in org mode.

  but as far as i can tell, as long as org-mode is installed, that
will happen, anyway, won't it?  i've tested it with an empty .org file
and i get org mode automatically.

  isn't it worth mentioning that?  or am i misreading something?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: won't emacs kick into org mode for any file with a ".org" suffix?
@ 2012-09-08 19:17 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-09-08 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

>   currently working my way thru the manual and section 1.3,
> "Activation", explains how to add a line to your .emacs file to
> guarantee that any ".org" file will open in org mode.
>
>   but as far as i can tell, as long as org-mode is installed, that
> will happen, anyway, won't it?  i've tested it with an empty .org file
> and i get org mode automatically.
>
>   isn't it worth mentioning that?  or am i misreading something?

It is meant for users who are using Org with a version of Emacs that is
released before 2007-11-09.  That is really an Emacs that is
half-a-decade old.

,---- C-h v auto-mode-alist
`----

> rday

* Re: won't emacs kick into org mode for any file with a ".org" suffix?
@ 2012-09-08 19:21   ` Robert P. J. Day
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-09-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, Jambunathan K wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>
> >   currently working my way thru the manual and section 1.3,
> > "Activation", explains how to add a line to your .emacs file to
> > guarantee that any ".org" file will open in org mode.
> >
> >   but as far as i can tell, as long as org-mode is installed, that
> > will happen, anyway, won't it?  i've tested it with an empty .org file
> > and i get org mode automatically.
> >
> >   isn't it worth mentioning that?  or am i misreading something?
>
> It is meant for users who are using Org with a version of Emacs that is
> released before 2007-11-09.  That is really an Emacs that is
> half-a-decade old.

  i figured that -- my point was that i think it's worth mentioning
that, with any decently current version of emacs, all of that is
already configured and you don't need to do anything.  reading that
section doesn't make that clear.

  just my $0.02 (Cdn).

@ 2012-09-08 19:49     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-09-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, Jambunathan K wrote:
>
>> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>>
>> >   currently working my way thru the manual and section 1.3,
>> > "Activation", explains how to add a line to your .emacs file to
>> > guarantee that any ".org" file will open in org mode.
>> >
>> >   but as far as i can tell, as long as org-mode is installed, that
>> > will happen, anyway, won't it?  i've tested it with an empty .org file
>> > and i get org mode automatically.
>> >
>> >   isn't it worth mentioning that?  or am i misreading something?
>>
>> It is meant for users who are using Org with a version of Emacs that is
>> released before 2007-11-09.  That is really an Emacs that is
>> half-a-decade old.
>
>   i figured that - my point was that i think it's worth mentioning that, with any
> decently current version of emacs, all of that is already configured
> and you don't need to do anything.  reading that section doesn't make
> that clear.

I think you are complaining about something which isn't really a
problem.

Absence of that information may hinder usage for someone who is on
Emacs-22.1.  More importantly, presence of that is not going to hinder a
new user.

Emacs 22.1 released, Richard Stallman, 2007/06/03
Emacs 22.2 released, Chong Yidong, 2008/03/26

,----
`----

,----

`----

>   just my $0.02 (Cdn).

I think I am in a mood to pick some argument :-).

@ 2012-09-08 20:20   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-08 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> It is meant for users who are using Org with a version of Emacs that is
> released before 2007-11-09.  That is really an Emacs that is
> half-a-decade old.

Hmm. Half a decade?
It does not work ootb on a machine in my university I frequently log in to:

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (with-temp-buffer
         (insert-file-contents "/etc/debian_version")
         (buffer-string))
"5.0.10\n"
ELISP> (emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)\n of
2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian"
ELISP> (rassoc 'org-mode auto-mode-alist)
nil
ELISP>

* Re: won't emacs kick into org mode for any file with a ".org" suffix?
@ 2012-09-08 20:42     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-08 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

>   i figured that -- my point was that i think it's worth mentioning
> that, with any decently current version of emacs, all of that is
> already configured and you don't need to do anything.  reading that
> section doesn't make that clear.

Adding it doesn't hurt anyone, and with copy&paste, no problem really.
Emacs22 is still in use in some places. Just keeping it in there the way
it is now means less "Help, why doesn't it work here?" from new orgers
on this list or someplace else. Everyone knowledgeable/around long
enough will just skip that recommendation. Further explanations would
only make it more verbose I think.

fwiw
Memnon

* Re: won't emacs kick into org mode for any file with a ".org" suffix?
@ 2012-09-18 14:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Robert,

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

>   i figured that -- my point was that i think it's worth mentioning
> that, with any decently current version of emacs, all of that is
> already configured and you don't need to do anything.  reading that
> section doesn't make that clear.

I just fixed this, thanks.

--
 Bastien