* M-right does not demote some subheadings in a region
@ 2014-01-13  2:49 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-01-13  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode list, Susan Cragin

I can't produce an ECM at this time, or compare with Susan's
bug, but there is a serious demote bug in recent Org.

In this tree:

# ***** a
# ******* a
# ******* b
# ******* c
# ********* ca
# ********* cb
# ********* cc
# ******* d
# ******* e
# ******* f

If I mark b through e and m-right, everything goes under a
as expected.  However, the entries under c do not get
demoted.

c has to be folded for the bug to occur.  That might be a
hint that can solve the bug.  I expected demotion to work
the same whether anything is folded or not.  Is that a wrong expectation?

It seems unrelated to the value of
org-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region.

Emacs 23.4 -q does not reproduce the bug.

===

What follows is a couple of Org visibility bugs, which are
in addition to the structure corrupting bug, but occur
reliably in this example.

It LOOKS like everything got demoted, but then TAB on c
shows ca under it, and also cb after it at the same level
because it is now a sibling (this is a visibility bug -- I
do not want any siblings hidden).

cb, in turn, has ellipses, which indicate children, but
there are no children (another visibility bug -- I only want
hiding when there are children).  cc gets revealed on TAB.

I have all settings set to not sparsify; that is, I like to
always have visibility include all siblings and all parents,
and /only/ hide things that are underneath other things.

However, bugs like this crop up very frequently, such as with
isearch.  I gave up trying to fix them after years of
trying.  What I want is canonical visibility at all times,
which means TAB and arrow can reproduce the state.  This does not seem
possible in Org, although in principle it should work out of the box
with show siblings and show hierarchy above set.  Right?

===

Just wanted to say there is a serious bug in demote even though I
can't bisect at this time.  Hope this description helps at least a
little.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: M-right does not demote some subheadings in a region
@ 2014-01-15 16:36 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-15 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode list, Susan Cragin

> I can't produce an ECM at this time, or compare with Susan's
> bug, but there is a serious demote bug in recent Org.
>
> In this tree:
>
> # ***** a
> # ******* a
> # ******* b
> # ******* c
> # ********* ca
> # ********* cb
> # ********* cc
> # ******* d
> # ******* e
> # ******* f
>
> If I mark b through e and m-right, everything goes under a
> as expected.  However, the entries under c do not get
> demoted.

This is the same bug than the one Susan reported, and it was
fixed yesterday.  Please update and confirm.

 Bastien

* Re: M-right does not demote some subheadings in a region
@ 2014-01-17 23:36   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-01-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode list, Susan Cragin

It seems to work.  Thank you, Bastien.

I wasn't sure if this was the same bug as Susan's, but it seems to be.
 Why does folding affect semantics?

@ 2014-01-19 15:51     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode list, Susan Cragin

Hi Samuel,

> It seems to work.  Thank you, Bastien.
>
> I wasn't sure if this was the same bug as Susan's, but it seems to
> be.

Yes it is.

> Why does folding affect semantics?

Folding affects any function that has to deal with the visibility
state of the text.

When promoting or demoting a (set of) subtree, tags get re-aligned
automatically.  Re-aligning tags possibly manipulates invisible text
(for example when the headline contains a bracket link), so that's
where the bug came from: after aligning the tags, the point was not
left where it should be, and some subtrees where skipped instead of
being promoted/demoted.

--
 Bastien

* Re: M-right does not demote some subheadings in a region
@ 2014-01-21  2:41       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-01-21  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode list, Susan Cragin

Thanks for the explanation.