* Inaccurate documentation for org-metaleft?
@ 2015-05-11 16:16 Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2015-05-11 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry if I am totally confused, I am an org beginner.

If I do 'C-h f org-metaleft', I see

   org-metaleft is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
   (org-metaleft &optional ARG)
   Promote heading or move table column to left.
   Calls `org-do-promote' or `org-table-move-column', depending on context.
   With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `backward-word'.
   See the individual commands for more information.

However, if I look at the code, it seems to me that it does other
things, at least org-outdent-item.  Experimenting a bit with
org-metaleft and org-outdent-item seems to confirm this feeling.

The doc for org-metaright

   org-metaright is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
   (org-metaright &optional ARG)
   Demote a subtree, a list item or move table column to right.
   In front of a drawer or a block keyword, indent it correctly.
   With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `forward-word'.
   See the individual commands for more information.

is more accurate with respect to list items, but one would expect it
to say "Calls `org-do-demote' etc."

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr

* Re: Inaccurate documentation for org-metaleft?
@ 2015-05-13 10:39 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Cochard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> If I do 'C-h f org-metaleft', I see
>
>    org-metaleft is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
>    (org-metaleft &optional ARG)
>    Promote heading or move table column to left.
>    Calls `org-do-promote' or `org-table-move-column', depending on cont=
> ext.
>    With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `backward-word'.
>    See the individual commands for more information.
>
> However, if I look at the code, it seems to me that it does other
> things, at least org-outdent-item.  Experimenting a bit with
> org-metaleft and org-outdent-item seems to confirm this feeling.
>
> The doc for org-metaright
>
>    org-metaright is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
>    (org-metaright &optional ARG)
>    Demote a subtree, a list item or move table column to right.
>    In front of a drawer or a block keyword, indent it correctly.
>    With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `forward-word'.
>    See the individual commands for more information.
>
> is more accurate with respect to list items, but one would expect it
> to say "Calls `org-do-demote' etc."

I improved these docstrings in 0e7062678eb224027e5eca70a205430083a13a64.
Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou