* Track time on day-to-day basis
@ 2016-11-25 10:33 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-25 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I've come into the need to track the time I'm working on a
particular project, which is great with Org, but I also need to
report the tracked time on a day-to-day basis. This seems somewhat
less straightforward to do. I realize I can generate a report
limited to today by specifying `:block today`, but that only gives
me the time clocked today. What do I do when I want to get a
day-to-day overview of the time spent on a project? Do I need to
maintain another table by hand, in which I copy the time
calculated by `org-clock-report` at the end of each day? Or is
there a better method?

BTW, just looking at the LOGBOOK drawer doesn't work, because I
may clock in and out of a project several times a day.

Thanks for any hints and suggestions!

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Track time on day-to-day basis
@ 2016-11-25 11:59 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2016-11-25 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 11:33:45AM +0100, Joost Kremers wrote:

> I've come into the need to track the time I'm working on a
> particular project, which is great with Org, but I also need to
> report the tracked time on a day-to-day basis. This seems somewhat
> less straightforward to do. I realize I can generate a report
> limited to today by specifying `:block today`, but that only gives
> me the time clocked today. What do I do when I want to get a
> day-to-day overview of the time spent on a project? Do I need to
> maintain another table by hand, in which I copy the time
> calculated by `org-clock-report` at the end of each day? Or is
> there a better method?

Joost,

I keep a time stamped journal of all of my projects. Every time I
switch tasks I add in an inactive timestamp, and I make sure each TODO
item is timestamped on close.

Then I can open the agenda for just that file, enter logbook mode, and
enable inactive timestamps. This gives me a great detailed timeline as
to what occurred and when.

It does not tally hours automatically, but I have previously used it
to justify hours in my consulting practice.

> BTW, just looking at the LOGBOOK drawer doesn't work, because I
> may clock in and out of a project several times a day.

Not the drawer, logbook mode. "l" in the agenda.

* Re: Track time on day-to-day basis
@ 2016-11-25 14:32 ` ngreply
From: ngreply @ 2016-11-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Joost,

I do reports on a day-to-day basis using clocktables:

#+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 4 :block 2016-11 :scope ("./Projekt01.org") :link t :step day :stepskip0

#+END:

Hope this helps.

  Regards, Oliver

@ 2016-11-27 20:57   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-27 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ngreply; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Oliver,

On Fri, Nov 25 2016, ngreply@gmx.net wrote:
> I do reports on a day-to-day basis using clocktables:
>
> #+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 4 :block 2016-11 :scope
> ("./Projekt01.org") :link t :step day :stepskip0
>
> #+END:
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments