* Bug: Org-mode v3.8 tag hierarchy [9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @ /home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2020-09-19 14:50 Leon Weber
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leon Weber @ 2020-09-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi together, I recently updated from org-mode version 9.1.8 to 9.3. I
noticed a problem with group tags / tag hierarchy in the agenda-view
(Agenda for current week or day).

Example File:
--------------
#+TAGS: [ PARENT : CHILD1 CHILD2 ]
* test1 :CHILD1:
SCHEDULED: <2020-09-14 Mon>
* test2 :CHILD2:
SCHEDULED: <2020-09-14 Mon>

--------------
If I filter by the 'PARENT' tag, with the function
'org-agenda-filter-by-tag' (in the agenda daily view) in version 9.1.8 I
get all the child entries. In version 9.3.8 however this does not work
anymore. Does anyone know if this is intentional? I didn't find anything
in the release notes about this.

Tested on a vanilla Emacs installation version 26.3 and 27.1.

Emacs : GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.22, cairo version 1.17.3)
of 2020-08-28
Package: Org mode version 9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @
/home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

* Re: Bug: Org-mode v3.8 tag hierarchy [9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @ /home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2020-09-19 15:57 ` Palak Mathur
From: Palak Mathur @ 2020-09-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 9/19/2020 9:50 AM, Leon Weber wrote:
> Hi together, I recently updated from org-mode version 9.1.8 to 9.3. I
> noticed a problem with group tags / tag hierarchy in the agenda-view
> (Agenda for current week or day).
>
> Example File:
> --------------
> #+TAGS: [ PARENT : CHILD1 CHILD2 ]
> * test1 :CHILD1:
> SCHEDULED: <2020-09-14 Mon>
> * test2 :CHILD2:
> SCHEDULED: <2020-09-14 Mon>
>
> --------------
> If I filter by the 'PARENT' tag, with the function
> 'org-agenda-filter-by-tag' (in the agenda daily view) in version 9.1.8
> I get all the child entries. In version 9.3.8 however this does not
> work anymore. Does anyone know if this is intentional? I didn't find
> anything in the release notes about this.
>
> Tested on a vanilla Emacs installation version 26.3 and 27.1.

I can reproduce this. If I use `org-agenda` and then select `m` to Match
a TAG\PROP\TODO query, it does show all the items marked with children
tags. However, if you use `org-agenda-filter-by-tag` it returns the
empty agenda view.

> Emacs : GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.22, cairo version 1.17.3)
> of 2020-08-28
> Package: Org mode version 9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @
> /home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

Regards,

Palak Mathur

* Re: Bug: Org-mode v3.8 tag hierarchy [9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @ /home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2020-09-23  7:11 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Weber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leon,

Leon Weber <leon.weber@net2.ch> writes:

> Hi together, I recently updated from org-mode version 9.1.8 to 9.3. I
> noticed a problem with group tags / tag hierarchy in the agenda-view
> (Agenda for current week or day).

Can you reproduce the problem with latest stable, aka 9.4 ?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bug: Org-mode v3.8 tag hierarchy [9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @ /home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2020-09-23  7:34   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-23  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Leon Weber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Can you reproduce the problem with latest stable, aka 9.4 ?

I can.

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Leon,
>
> Leon Weber <leon.weber@net2.ch> writes:
>
>> Hi together, I recently updated from org-mode version 9.1.8 to 9.3. I
>> noticed a problem with group tags / tag hierarchy in the agenda-view
>> (Agenda for current week or day).
>
> Can you reproduce the problem with latest stable, aka 9.4 ?
>
> --
>  Bastien

Confirmed

* Re: Bug: Org-mode v3.8 tag hierarchy [9.3.3 (release_9.3.3 @ /home/user/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2020-09-28  4:12 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-09-28  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Weber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ihor Radchenko, Palak Mathur

Leon Weber writes:

> Hi together, I recently updated from org-mode version 9.1.8 to 9.3. I
> noticed a problem with group tags / tag hierarchy in the agenda-view
> (Agenda for current week or day).
>
> Example File:
> --------------
> #+TAGS: [ PARENT : CHILD1 CHILD2 ]
> * test1 :CHILD1:
> SCHEDULED: <2020-09-14 Mon>
> * test2 :CHILD2:
> SCHEDULED: <2020-09-14 Mon>

> If I filter by the 'PARENT' tag, with the function
> 'org-agenda-filter-by-tag' (in the agenda daily view) in version 9.1.8 I
> get all the child entries. In version 9.3.8 however this does not work
> anymore. Does anyone know if this is intentional? I didn't find anything
> in the release notes about this.

Thanks for reporting (and thanks Palak and Ihor for confirming).

It looks like this was a regression from v9.2.  It should be fixed by
6676a97d2.  Note that, as of 9.3, org-agenda-filter-by-tag is bound to
'\' rather than '/'.