* Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
@ 2022-08-27 12:44 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2022-08-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
@ 2022-08-27 13:56 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-27 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:

> I've found a problem with Imenu and org-mode, and the error report says -
>
> =====
> Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
> Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
> =====

Are you able to reproduce starting from emacs -Q?
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

> And its locking all of the menu-bar up such that nothing on it can be used!
>
> I've rebuilt emacs twice, which also included deleting my git repo of it, and re-downloading emacs from git and rebuilding. But its made no difference!

Does it mean that you are using Emacs 29 (master branch)? Does the same
problem appear in Emacs 28?

> I've also re-downloading org-mode and rebuilt it, still with no solution!

Are you using main branch? bugfix? ELPA version?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
@ 2022-08-28 13:32   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2022-08-28 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:
>
>> I've found a problem with Imenu and org-mode, and the error report says -
>>
>> =====
>> Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
>> Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
>> =====
>
> Are you able to reproduce starting from emacs -Q?
> See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

No, the problem doesn't occur when using 'emacs -Q -l /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/minimal-org.el'.

>> And its locking all of the menu-bar up such that nothing on it can be used!
>>
>> I've rebuilt emacs twice, which also included deleting my git repo of it, and re-downloading emacs from git and rebuilding. But its made no difference!
>
> Does it mean that you are using Emacs 29 (master branch)? Does the same
> problem appear in Emacs 28?

The problem seems to only occur when using the master branch.

>> I've also re-downloading org-mode and rebuilt it, still with no solution!
>
> Are you using main branch? bugfix? ELPA version?

Org mode version 9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-763-g06373a @ /home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp/)

I don't know how to show the org-version as per the line above in my signature, can anyone advise please?

Thanks
    Sharon.
- --
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 11.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 29.0.50, org 9.5.4

* Re: Selection owner couldn’t convert: STRING
@ 2022-08-29 12:16     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-29 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:

>> Are you able to reproduce starting from emacs -Q?
>> See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html
>
> No, the problem doesn't occur when using 'emacs -Q -l /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/minimal-org.el'.

Then I suggest https://github.com/Malabarba/elisp-bug-hunter to pinpoint
which part of your config is causing the problem.

>> Does it mean that you are using Emacs 29 (master branch)? Does the same
>> problem appear in Emacs 28?
>
> The problem seems to only occur when using the master branch.

Then, it is more likely an Emacs bug. In any case, finding which part of
your config is triggering the problem should be the first step.

>> Are you using main branch? bugfix? ELPA version?
>
> Org mode version 9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-763-g06373a @ /home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> I don't know how to show the org-version as per the line above in my signature, can anyone advise please?

You can submit bug reports using M-x org-submit-bug-report. It will
auto-fill the system information.