* Yanking the descriptive part of a link
@ 2007-04-17 21:58 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-17 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi list,

i came accross this situation several times: i have a (long) link in an
org-mode buffer and want to label it by yanking some text.

My first move was to select the link as the region and try C-u C-c C-l on
it, since org-insert-link does just the opposite : it takes the region as
the default label for some link you want to yank.

But the universal argument of C-c C-l makes org-insert-link deal with file
names.

Does anybody know any automated way to yank text as the descriptive-part of
an org-mode link ?

Thanks !

--
Bastien

* Re: Yanking the descriptive part of a link
@ 2007-04-18  2:26 ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-04-18  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien

On 4/17/07, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Does anybody know any automated way to yank text as the descriptive-part of
> an org-mode link ?

Do these solutions count?

With cursor anywhere in the link:

C-c C-l RET M-h C-y

Or, with cursor at beginning [*] of the link

M-@ M-@ ..... C-y

You have to repeat M-@ [**] once for each word in the original
description (or give it a numeric argument)

Cheers

Will

Footnotes:
[*]  Make sure you approach from the right, not the left, if using kbd commands
[**] M-@ is a pain to type on my keyboard

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Yanking the descriptive part of a link
@ 2007-04-18  7:02 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-18  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> i came accross this situation several times: i have a (long) link in an
> org-mode buffer and want to label it by yanking some text.
>
> My first move was to select the link as the region and try C-u C-c C-l on
> it, since org-insert-link does just the opposite : it takes the region as
> the default label for some link you want to yank.

First move was wrong.  C-c C-l does the job correctly when no region is
set.  Sorry for the noise.

--

@ 2007-04-18  7:06   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-18  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com> writes:

>> Does anybody know any automated way to yank text as the descriptive-part of
>> an org-mode link ?
>
> Do these solutions count?
>
> With cursor anywhere in the link:
>
> C-c C-l RET M-h C-y
>
> Or, with cursor at beginning [*] of the link
>
> M-@ M-@ ..... C-y

Sorry my question was not clear.  I wanted to import (possibly external)
text as the descriptive part of a link, not to copy the descriptive text
itself.  Thanks anyway, i didn't know M-@ !

@ 2007-04-18 13:36     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-04-18 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/18/07, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> "William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com> writes:
> > With cursor anywhere in the link:
> >
> > C-c C-l RET M-h C-y
> >
> > Or, with cursor at beginning [*] of the link
> >
> > M-@ M-@ ..... C-y
>
> Sorry my question was not clear.  I wanted to import (possibly external)
> text as the descriptive part of a link, not to copy the descriptive text
> itself.

Yes, but I think I understood you correctly. I was assuming you wanted
to replace the existing descriptive text with new text that you had
just copied to the kill ring or cut buffer. Note that they end in C-y,
not M-w. However, I now see that my methods rely on having activated
the emacs option whereby yanked (pasted) text overwrites the current
marked region (selection). I think this is controlled by zmacs-region
and cua-mode, which maybe you don't have activated.  Sorry for the
confusion.

Cheers

Will