* easypg and multiple prompts
@ 2008-11-18 12:58 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-18 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I am trying to use easypg with org-mode.

In emacs 23 its included and I just have:

(require 'epa)
(epa-file-enable)

although I thinks its default is on anyway.

Create a "private.gpg" with these as the first lines and save it in your
org files directory.

,----
| -*- mode: org -*- -*- epa-file-encrypt-to: ("name@domain.net") -*-
| #+AUTHOR:    name
| #+EMAIL:     name@domain.net
| #+DATE:      <2008-03-23 Sun>
| #+LANGUAGE:  en
|
| * Private
`----

replace name and domain as appropriate.

Here is a template to add for it:

              ("private"    ?p "* %^{Title|%i} %^G\n  :PROPERTIES: \n  :Entered: %U\n  :Link: %a\n  :END: \n%x%?" "private.gpg" "Private")

Now create a new private item and commit it.

One is prompted three times for the passphrase

Anyone else using it with org and if so have you managed to cache?

opening an "x.gpg" without the local mode prompts only once when you
open it and uses the cache when saving it so no password reprompt.

I dont know if this multi-pass prompt is emacs or org-mode so post here
for completeness. It seems to be org-mode forcing it.

easypg with org-mode makes a really powerful, secure note taking
environment!

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: easypg and multiple prompts
@ 2008-11-18 21:38 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2008-11-18 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Still not using it, but soon. Thanks for the hint!

Does gpg-agent help?

Detlef

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:58:59 +0100
Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use easypg with org-mode.
>
> In emacs 23 its included and I just have:
>
> (require 'epa)
> (epa-file-enable)
>
> although I thinks its default is on anyway.
>
> Create a "private.gpg" with these as the first lines and save it in your
> org files directory.
>
> ,----
> | -*- mode: org -*- -*- epa-file-encrypt-to: ("name@domain.net") -*-
> | #+AUTHOR:    name
> | #+EMAIL:     name@domain.net
> | #+DATE:      <2008-03-23 Sun>
> | #+LANGUAGE:  en
> |
> | * Private
> `----
>
> replace name and domain as appropriate.
>
> Here is a template to add for it:
>
>               ("private"    ?p "* %^{Title|%i} %^G\n  :PROPERTIES: \n  :Entered: %U\n  :Link: %a\n  :END: \n%x%?" "private.gpg" "Private")
>
> Now create a new private item and commit it.
>
> One is prompted three times for the passphrase
>
> Anyone else using it with org and if so have you managed to cache?
>
> opening an "x.gpg" without the local mode prompts only once when you
> open it and uses the cache when saving it so no password reprompt.
>
> I dont know if this multi-pass prompt is emacs or org-mode so post here
> for completeness. It seems to be org-mode forcing it.
>
> easypg with org-mode makes a really powerful, secure note taking
> environment!
>

> --
>  important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

Wisely, and slow. They stumble that run fast. - Shakespeare

* Re: easypg and multiple prompts
@ 2008-11-20 23:53 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2008-11-20 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> (require 'epa)
> (epa-file-enable)
>
> although I thinks its default is on anyway.
  Yes.

> One is prompted three times for the passphrase

  I got the same behaviour when using 3 mail accounts in Gnus which make use of one sole authinfo file. I described this in [1].

  Yes, there is some caché for easypg. I turned it on via:
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)
  and now it asks me the password just one time. I think this will be useful also for Org.

  The code (Gnus and Org-mode), however, seem to be accessing the same data many times instead of being „smart“ and reading all needed data in just one go. But I doubt this makes a difference in terms of efficiency, since the involved files are small.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusEncryptedAuthInfo