* Simple wiki system like VIMWiki
@ 2011-01-06 15:07 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-06 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

I've started using vim lately for my programming needs and I love it,
mostly because the motion and shortcuts are much more efficient. That
aside, I still think emacs is a great platform and text-editor and I
still use it for other stuff, mainly organizing myself (thanks to
orgmode).

Most of the todo/GTD stuff is well handled by org, but I do find that
for reference and brainstorming, a real-time (and straightforward)
wiki is the best solution. I have been managing to keep things simple
by keeping all my reference org files under a (/wiki) folder and
setting peepopen (an OSX cocoa fuzzy-finder
(http://peepcode.com/products/peepopen)) to index specifically this
folder and bound this to Command-w, and it works great for getting a
quick index of the wiki and quickly open a file from it.

However, linking and creating new files is far from optimal. Org-mode
still tries to keep things at the headline-level, instead of at file
level. This works, but for me,  not so well. Why? The simple fact that
org asks me if I want to create a target in the current file or in a
another file already gets me out of the zone. I prefer some convetion
over configuration.

It'd be nice if org had, for example, a more org-like wiki (like
wikinodes) and a more traditional one (like VIMwiki). Not sure if
there's another mode I could combo with org that would give the
functionality I want, I'm open to suggestions :)

Marcelo.

* Re: Simple wiki system like VIMWiki
@ 2011-01-06 16:22 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Forgot to add the link to VIMWiki:

http://code.google.com/p/vimwiki/

Regards,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-01-07 15:03   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Is no one interested in such feature?

Marcelo.

@ 2011-01-07 15:32 ` 노정태
From: 노정태 @ 2011-01-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode

I'm interested.

- Jeongtae

2011/1/7 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com>

> Hi list,
>
> I've started using vim lately for my programming needs and I love it,
> mostly because the motion and shortcuts are much more efficient. That
> aside, I still think emacs is a great platform and text-editor and I
> still use it for other stuff, mainly organizing myself (thanks to
> orgmode).
>
> Most of the todo/GTD stuff is well handled by org, but I do find that
> for reference and brainstorming, a real-time (and straightforward)
> wiki is the best solution. I have been managing to keep things simple
> by keeping all my reference org files under a (/wiki) folder and
> setting peepopen (an OSX cocoa fuzzy-finder
> (http://peepcode.com/products/peepopen)) to index specifically this
> folder and bound this to Command-w, and it works great for getting a
> quick index of the wiki and quickly open a file from it.
>
> However, linking and creating new files is far from optimal. Org-mode
> still tries to keep things at the headline-level, instead of at file
> level. This works, but for me,  not so well. Why? The simple fact that
> org asks me if I want to create a target in the current file or in a
> another file already gets me out of the zone. I prefer some convetion
> over configuration.
>
> It'd be nice if org had, for example, a more org-like wiki (like
> wikinodes) and a more traditional one (like VIMwiki). Not sure if
> there's another mode I could combo with org that would give the
> functionality I want, I'm open to suggestions :)
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: Re: Simple wiki system like VIMWiki
@ 2011-01-07 15:37     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-01-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is no one interested in such feature?

Just an fyi:

I don't know whether it's generally the case, but I received your
original mail (with date Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:07:57 -0600) at the same
time as I received your follow-up (with date Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:03:46
-0600), so either the original mail was hung up at your end or it was
hung up on the list server or some other unfortunate event happened. In
any case, even if I were interested, I would have had no time to
consider it.

Regards,
Nick

* Re: Re: Simple wiki system like VIMWiki
@ 2011-01-07 15:44       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-01-07 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is no one interested in such feature?
> >

> Just an fyi:
>
> I don't know whether it's generally the case, but I received your
> original mail (with date Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:07:57 -0600) at the same
> time as I received your follow-up (with date Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:03:46
> -0600), so either the original mail was hung up at your end or it was
> hung up on the list server or some other unfortunate event happened. In
> any case, even if I were interested, I would have had no time to
> consider it.

Looking at it more closely, it seems to have kicked around the list server
for 24 hours:

,----
`----

Nick

* Re: Simple wiki system like VIMWiki
@ 2011-01-07 18:38 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-01-07 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> However, linking and creating new files is far from optimal.

Could you please explain what you mean here?

I find C-u C-c C-l to be a very efficient way of creating file links
(both to new and existing files).

Also, the following two settings make it quite easy to open new links:

(setq org-return-follows-link t)
(setq org-open-non-existing-files t)

> Org-mode still tries to keep things at the headline-level, instead of
> at file level.

Again, could you please explain what you mean by this?

The following instructions will make org behave less like an outline and
more like a tradition wiki (such as muse mode):

1. Create links with C-u C-c C-l (even better: rebind this to something
   simpler).
2. Use the settings above to open links easily.
3. [Optional] Set org-startup-folded to nil for a "full-page" view.
4. [Optional] Create a single wrapper function that creates a new link,
   opens the file, and adds the file to the list of agenda files.

And since org-mode supports inline images and all sorts of hyperlinks,
this will provide everything necessary for a nice wiki system.

Well, almost everything.... I suppose the last step would be to modify
org-wikinodes to allow CamelCase links to files.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Simple wiki system like VIMWiki
@ 2011-01-07 19:24   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-07 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

I'd think org could do anything needed for this.  I know Marcelo asked
about separate files, but in principle, a command can allow ido to
help select olpaths, for ease of use.

In principle, it can even create a header and refile it using ido to a
suitable location, and put an org ID link to it at point.  Offhand I
don't know of an existing way of doing this.

To get even fancier, agenda can search for the current node's ID -- or
(for excellent fanciness) any other designator in any mode such as
capture recognizes -- so that you have the equivalent of a reverse
link without having to explicitly create a bidirectional link.  I
wrote something about this possibility and can dredge it up if there
is interest.

Samuel

I support WPI: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html -- PLEASE DONATE
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MLV paper.