* emacs24 datetree always entering events under today
@ 2012-09-03  0:57 Paul Whipp
From: Paul Whipp @ 2012-09-03  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The datetree functionality for org-mode capture is very appealing but
google has let me down trying to get it working.

I set it up using
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/datetree.html as follows:

template entry:
("e" "Event" entry (file+datetree "~/notes/events.org")
 "* %^{Title} %?
")

My versions are:
(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-07-28 on kutjera, modified by Debian"
(org-version)
"Org-mode version 7.8.11"

Starting with a blank events.org file, the current year month and today are
generated as the tutorial describes but all entries appear under it,
whatever year or month or day I actually set for them  using C-c, C-s to
schedule a date (or by just associating a date with them).

* 2012
** 2012-09 September
*** 2012-09-03 Monday
**** test for tomorrow again
SCHEDULED: <2012-09-05 Wed>
**** TODO try me as a task for tomorrow
SCHEDULED: <2012-09-04 Tue>
**** test2
<2012-11-03 Sat 10:31>
**** test1
<2012-09-03 Mon 10:30>
**** just one date perhaps
SCHEDULED: <2012-09-04 Tue>

Can anyone help with what I'm doing wrong or is this a feature that is no
longer working?

Cheers,
Paul

* Re: emacs24 datetree always entering events under today
@ 2012-09-18  9:40 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-18  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Whipp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

Paul Whipp <paul.whipp@gmail.com> writes:

> Starting with a blank events.org file, the current year month and
> today are generated as the tutorial describes but all entries appear
> under it, whatever year or month or day I actually set for them
>  using C-c, C-s to schedule a date (or by just associating a date
> with them).

That's how it works.

(org-capture nil "E") will always find today's date in the datetree.

If you want to capture using a different default date, go to an agenda
view, move to another date from the agenda view, then capture using the
`k' keybinding from there.

For example, if this is your agenda:

  Week-agenda (W38):
  Monday     17 September 2012 W38
  Tuesday    18 September 2012
  Wednesday  19 September 2012
  Thursday   20 September 2012
  Friday     21 September 2012
  Saturday   22 September 2012
  Sunday     23 September 2012

and point is on Monday's line (yesterday), then `k e' will capture to
Monday's datetree.

HTH,

--
 Bastien