* [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-03 12:53 Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-03-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

Maybe you've heard about the relatively new language, "julia" [1]?
The ESS team added support for it some months back [2] and they've
been working on it more recently even [3]. It seemed natural to
investigate Babel support for julia and after quite a bit of fiddling
with ob-R.el I believe I've sorted out the major pieces:

git://github.com/gjkerns/ob-julia.git

There's an "ob-julia.el" file which is the meat, then
"ob-julia-doc.org" and "ob-julia-beamer.org" files for testing, plus
an "intro-julia.org" file in case you're new to julia and would like
to learn more. For testing you'd need a recent installation of julia
[2] and you'd need an almost bleeding-edge version of ESS [4].  By the
way, it was written under the development branch of Org so if you
haven't updated recently you might need that too.

LaTeX/HTML/Beamer export is working, C-c C-c evaluation of code
chunks, plotting figures (need the Winston package), etc.  Session
evaluation is required at least for the time being.

If you see ways to improve it I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Jay

[1] http://julialang.org/
[2] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2012-September/008212.html
[3] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2013-February/008640.html
[4] https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS

--
G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Youngstown State University

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-03 19:05 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-03-03 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Jay,

Having read through intro-julia.org and scanned ob-julia.el I have to
say this looks great.  Thanks for sharing!

Would you be willing to contribute ob-julia.el to the Org-mode
repository?  I don't see you listed as an Org-mode contributor (see
[1]), so to do so you would likely have to complete the FSF copyright
attribution.  Please let me (and more importantly Bastien) know if this
is something you'd like to do, so we can help get julia support into
Org-mode.

Additionally, it would be nice for your excellent introduction to be
added to worg, and for julia to be listed as a supported babel language
(see [2]).

Cheers,

Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Maybe you've heard about the relatively new language, "julia" [1]?
> The ESS team added support for it some months back [2] and they've
> been working on it more recently even [3]. It seemed natural to
> investigate Babel support for julia and after quite a bit of fiddling
> with ob-R.el I believe I've sorted out the major pieces:
>
> git://github.com/gjkerns/ob-julia.git
>
> There's an "ob-julia.el" file which is the meat, then
> "ob-julia-doc.org" and "ob-julia-beamer.org" files for testing, plus
> an "intro-julia.org" file in case you're new to julia and would like
> to learn more. For testing you'd need a recent installation of julia
> [2] and you'd need an almost bleeding-edge version of ESS [4].  By the
> way, it was written under the development branch of Org so if you
> haven't updated recently you might need that too.
>
> LaTeX/HTML/Beamer export is working, C-c C-c evaluation of code
> chunks, plotting figures (need the Winston package), etc.  Session
> evaluation is required at least for the time being.
>
> If you see ways to improve it I'd appreciate any feedback.
>
> Cheers,
> Jay
>
> [1] http://julialang.org/
> [2] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2012-September/008212.html
> [3] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2013-February/008640.html
> [4] https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

[2]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-03 22:27   ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-03-03 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode List

Dear Eric,

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Having read through intro-julia.org and scanned ob-julia.el I have to
> say this looks great.  Thanks for sharing!

I should be saying "Thanks" to you!  Org Babel is truly great work; I
use it almost every day of my life.

> Would you be willing to contribute ob-julia.el to the Org-mode
> repository?

Yes, of course, it would be an honor to give back to the Org
community.  And I'm not just saying that.

> I don't see you listed as an Org-mode contributor (see
> [1]), so to do so you would likely have to complete the FSF copyright
> attribution.  Please let me (and more importantly Bastien) know if this
> is something you'd like to do, so we can help get julia support into
> Org-mode.

OK, I'll get started on that right away.

> Additionally, it would be nice for your excellent introduction to be
> added to worg, and for julia to be listed as a supported babel language
> (see [2]).

Thanks for the kind words, and I would be happy to contribute to worg.
 I've been sitting on my hands about worg so far because I'm scared
I'm going to break it with something that isn't compatible with the
old exporter.  In an earlier message Bastien indicated that Org 8.0
might be coming out in a few weeks (thanks, Bastien!) and I've been
trying to wait for it patiently.

In the meantime, maybe I'll check out the maintenance branch and dig
up those old configurations to get the ball rolling on my side.

--
Jay

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-04  1:58     ` Evan Misshula
From: Evan Misshula @ 2013-03-04  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: Org Mode List, Eric Schulte

Just +1 on incorporating Julia.  @Eric, babel is amazing.  I am developing on it
and I can't wait to use it with my students.  Thanks to both of you.

--
Evan Misshula
Doctoral Student (Criminal Justice)

"Instruction does much, but encouragement does everything." Johann
Wolfgang Von Goethe
www.snrg-nyc.org

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-04 13:36     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-03-04 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: Org Mode List

Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Eric,
>
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jay,
>>
>> Having read through intro-julia.org and scanned ob-julia.el I have to
>> say this looks great.  Thanks for sharing!
>
> I should be saying "Thanks" to you!  Org Babel is truly great work; I
> use it almost every day of my life.
>
>> Would you be willing to contribute ob-julia.el to the Org-mode
>> repository?
>

> Yes, of course, it would be an honor to give back to the Org
> community.  And I'm not just saying that.
>

>> I don't see you listed as an Org-mode contributor (see
>> [1]), so to do so you would likely have to complete the FSF copyright
>> attribution.  Please let me (and more importantly Bastien) know if this
>> is something you'd like to do, so we can help get julia support into
>> Org-mode.
>>

> OK, I'll get started on that right away.

Thanks.  It is great to hear that you are finding Babel useful.  I
shouldn't take too much credit for Babel as the Org-mode community has
contributed the bulk of the language-specific back ends which really
make Babel work.  Also, thanks to Bastien for handling much of the core
Babel maintenance as of late.

>> Additionally, it would be nice for your excellent introduction to be
>> added to worg, and for julia to be listed as a supported babel language
>> (see [2]).
>

> Thanks for the kind words, and I would be happy to contribute to worg.
>  I've been sitting on my hands about worg so far because I'm scared
> I'm going to break it with something that isn't compatible with the
> old exporter.

This makes sense, however, with worg in a git repo, revisions are easy,
so a little trial and error shouldn't cause any lasting damage.

> In an earlier message Bastien indicated that Org 8.0 might be coming
> out in a few weeks (thanks, Bastien!) and I've been trying to wait for
> it patiently.

Waiting is probably the best approach.  Unfortunately the FSF
assignments generally take on the order of weeks, so there should be no
need to rush on the documentation before the code is incorporated.

> In the meantime, maybe I'll check out the maintenance branch and dig
> up those old configurations to get the ball rolling on my side.

Thanks again, it is very gratifying to see Babel continue to grow even
as I have less time personally to work on it.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-04 17:53       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode List, Jay Kerns

Hi Jay,

thanks a lot for ob-julia.el!

Can I add it to contrib/babel/langs in org-mode.git right now?

  http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/contrib/babel/langs

For code in contrib/ we don't need authors to assign their copyright
to the Free Software Foundation, and support for more languages for
Babel is always great.

Let me know.

Also, if you want to edit Worg, can you send me your public key?

To go through the FSF copyright assignment process, please fill in
this form:

  http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/plain/request-assign-future.txt

When the FSF confirms it's fine, we will be able to incorporate
ob-julia.el into Org's core.

Thanks!

PS: I'm on ArchLinux, it was a bit weird to run "~$ yaourt -S julia" :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-04 18:12         ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-03-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode List, Eric Schulte

Dear Bastien,

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> thanks a lot for ob-julia.el!
>
> Can I add it to contrib/babel/langs in org-mode.git right now?
>
>   http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/contrib/babel/langs
>
> For code in contrib/ we don't need authors to assign their copyright
> to the Free Software Foundation, and support for more languages for
> Babel is always great.
>
> Let me know.

Yes, of course.  Thank you!

> Also, if you want to edit Worg, can you send me your public key?

I did that some time ago - I am all set for Worg.

> To go through the FSF copyright assignment process, please fill in
> this form:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/plain/request-assign-future.txt
>
> When the FSF confirms it's fine, we will be able to incorporate
> ob-julia.el into Org's core.

Done.

> Thanks!

By all means, thank you!

> PS: I'm on ArchLinux, it was a bit weird to run "~$ yaourt -S julia" :)

:-)

--
Jay

* Re: [BABEL] the julia language
@ 2013-03-04 19:39           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: Org Mode List, Eric Schulte

Hi Jay,

Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, of course.  Thank you!

Done: http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=dd57b9

And congrats for the documentation in the github repo!
I added a link to it in the commentary section of the file.

> I did that some time ago - I am all set for Worg.

Great.  Don't hesitate to go ahead, Worg publishes fine.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien