* Visibility cycling applied on several windows
@ 2013-04-02  9:47 Francesco Pizzolante
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2013-04-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have 2 windows opened with the same Org buffer, when you use a
visibility cycling command (TAB, S-TAB, etc.), it changes the visibility in
both windows, while you would expect the visibility being changed only in the
active windows (not in both windows).

Is there a way to restrict the visibility cycling only to the active window?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
 Francesco

* Re: Visibility cycling applied on several windows
@ 2013-04-02  9:50 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Francesco Pizzolante"
<fpz@missioncriticalit.com> writes:

> If you have 2 windows opened with the same Org buffer, when you use a
> visibility cycling command (TAB, S-TAB, etc.), it changes the visibility in
> both windows, while you would expect the visibility being changed only in the
> active windows (not in both windows).
>
> Is there a way to restrict the visibility cycling only to the active window?

maybe this is what you need (untested):

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Indirect-Buffers.html

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Visibility cycling applied on several windows
@ 2013-04-02 10:01   ` Christopher Schmidt
       [not found]     ` <87vc85uu7l-TsugTnnrXQtNhJN0HIYqWA@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2013-04-02 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
> maybe this is what you need (untested):
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Indirect-Buffers.html

No, an indirect buffer shares its parent's text properties.

        Christopher

@ 2013-04-02 10:33       ` Francesco Pizzolante
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2013-04-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Christopher and Thorsten,

Thanks for your replies.

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> maybe this is what you need (untested):
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Indirect-Buffers.html
>
> No, an indirect buffer shares its parent's text properties.

It's true: the indirect buffer shares its parent's text properties.

But, the visibility cycling is applied only in the active window: either in
the main buffer or in the indirect buffer but not in both windows at the same
time. So, it works as expected to me. Thanks for the trick!

But this trick seems like a workaround to me : using visibility cycling in one
window should not affect another window, isn't it?

Thanks for your help.

@ 2013-04-03  9:42         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Pizzolante; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Francesco,

"Francesco Pizzolante"
<fpz-djc/iPCCuDYQheJpep6IedvLeJWuRmrY@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi Christopher and Thorsten,
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> maybe this is what you need (untested):
>>>
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Indirect-Buffers.html
>>
>> No, an indirect buffer shares its parent's text properties.
>
> It's true: the indirect buffer shares its parent's text properties.

Org-mode relies on outline-mode for visibility cycling, and
outline-mode uses overlay to set the visibility of various parts
of the buffer.

> But, the visibility cycling is applied only in the active window: either in
> the main buffer or in the indirect buffer but not in both windows at the same
> time. So, it works as expected to me. Thanks for the trick!
>
> But this trick seems like a workaround to me : using visibility cycling in one
> window should not affect another window, isn't it?

Overlays are inherited at cloning time, but not each time they are
modified, either in the window displaying the base buffer, or in the
window displaying an indirect buffer -- while text properties are
inherited each time they are modified in any buffer.

HTH,

--
 Bastien