* Installation of Org 8
@ 2013-06-04  9:25 SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2013-06-04  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

<rant>
Please can someone point me to instructions to install Org 8? I've
downloaded the tar.gz file and searched and tried several sets of
instructions. The 'build instructions' are no help. Neither are the ELPA
instructions. I'm on Kubuntu 13.04. The default org-mode is 7.9.something.
I've purged that. I've done make and make install all and sudo make install
all. I'm not interested in installing and learning git.

The reason I want to try 8 is that the instructions here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html

about including output from R in ORG format to make nice HTML tables is not
working. I get a "BEGIN_SRC org" instead of "BEGIN_ORG" or something. I
thought it would be best to trouble-shoot this using the latest Org.
</rant>

* Re: Installation of Org 8
@ 2013-06-04  9:48 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-04  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sabre Wolfy,

> <rant>
> Please can someone point me to instructions to install Org 8? I've
> downloaded the tar.gz file and searched and tried several sets of
> instructions. The 'build instructions' are no help. Neither are the ELPA
> instructions. I'm on Kubuntu 13.04. The default org-mode is 7.9.something.
> I've purged that. I've done make and make install all and sudo make install
> all. I'm not interested in installing and learning git.

You can download a tarball of the latest version via cgit on the
Org-side.  I think there's even a link on the front page.  For a set
of instructions different from the official documentation see for
instance this PKGBUILD

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/em/emacs-org-mode-git/PKGBUILD

Also, check org-version.  Mine says:
Org-mode version 8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-183-gca9937 @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)

> The reason I want to try 8 is that the instructions here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html
>
> about including output from R in ORG format to make nice HTML tables is not
> working. I get a "BEGIN_SRC org" instead of "BEGIN_ORG" or something. I
> thought it would be best to trouble-shoot this using the latest Org.
> </rant>

BEGIN_SRC org would seem OK, no?  My emacs -q won't even recognize
BEGIN_ORG. . .  I think it's an old syntax, but I could be wrong.

Here's an example for doing an R table.

#+NAME: R-tbl
#+BEGIN_SRC R :exports results :rownames yes :colnames yes
 a <- runif(100)
 c <- "Quantiles of 100 random numbers"
 b <- data.frame(quantile(a))
 colnames(b) <- "my quantiles"
 round(b,3)
#+END_SRC

Click C-c C-c on the code and you will get table [[tbl]].

#+NAME: tbl
#+CAPTION: my table
#+RESULTS: R-tbl
|      | my quantiles |
|------+--------------|
|   0% |        0.017 |
|  25% |        0.196 |
|  50% |        0.378 |
|  75% |        0.659 |
| 100% |        0.988 |

Which outputs this html that looks like this.

http://image.bayimg.com/8e90d3d4ab568959c791011dab7064b222a47003.jpg

Finding an option to add numbers to your table captions is left to
you.

Oh, and feel free to update the Worg side given your new-gained
knowledge.

–Rasmus

--
There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.

* Re: Installation of Org 8
@ 2013-06-04 10:16 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2013-06-04 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> <rant> Please can someone point me to instructions to install Org 8?
> I've downloaded the tar.gz file and searched and tried several sets of
> instructions. The 'build instructions' are no help. Neither are the
> ELPA instructions. I'm on Kubuntu 13.04. The default org-mode is
> 7.9.something.  I've purged that. I've done make and make install all
> and sudo make install all. I'm not interested in installing and
> learning git.

Ok - part of the problem here is that you don't tell us what went wrong!
And I don't know anything about Ubuntu, though I used Debian thirteen
years ago......

You have downloaded the tarball - good.

You have unzipped it somewhere sensible - maybe in an .emacs.d directory

Then you went

cd org-8.0 (or whatever it is called)

and did make - did that go wrong?

If it did there is a chance you don't have to tools on board to build
it. This command should get them for you:

apt-get build-dep <package_name>

where <package name>  is the name of your emacs package.

Try make again

If it runs this time then fire up emacs and add these line to your .emacs
file - you will of course need to edit the path.

(setq load-path (cons "~/path/to/orgdir/lisp" load-path))
     (setq load-path (cons "~/path/to/orgdir/contrib/lisp" load-path))

Restart your emacs and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Glyn