* Org-Mode and Task Dependencies
@ 2014-03-10 23:09 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Simple question -- does org-mode handle task dependencies?  And, if so,
how well?  In the outline form, I see you could setup parent-child
relationships between tasks.  I'm looking for more of tasks that aren't
related, but are dependent on each other.

In particular, in a parent-child relationship, you might say "THIS task
is done when all of THOSE tasks are done" whereas I'm looking for more
of a "THIS task can be started when all of THOSE tasks are done".

How would you set this up in Org-Mode?

--
David Masterson

* Re: Org-Mode and Task Dependencies
@ 2014-03-10 23:20 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-10 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Simple question -- does org-mode handle task dependencies?  And, if so,
> how well?  In the outline form, I see you could setup parent-child
> relationships between tasks.  I'm looking for more of tasks that aren't
> related, but are dependent on each other.
>
> In particular, in a parent-child relationship, you might say "THIS task
> is done when all of THOSE tasks are done" whereas I'm looking for more
> of a "THIS task can be started when all of THOSE tasks are done".
>
> How would you set this up in Org-Mode?

Maybe what you are looking for is this section

    (info "(org) TODO dependencies")

in the manual.

--
Nick

* Re: Org-Mode and Task Dependencies
@ 2014-03-10 23:22 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-10 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Simple question -- does org-mode handle task dependencies?  And, if so,
> how well?  In the outline form, I see you could setup parent-child
> relationships between tasks.  I'm looking for more of tasks that aren't
> related, but are dependent on each other.
>
> In particular, in a parent-child relationship, you might say "THIS task
> is done when all of THOSE tasks are done" whereas I'm looking for more
> of a "THIS task can be started when all of THOSE tasks are done".
>
> How would you set this up in Org-Mode?

have a look here:

http://orgmode.org/manual/TODO-dependencies.html

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Org-Mode and Task Dependencies
@ 2014-03-11  0:39   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-11  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Simple question -- does org-mode handle task dependencies?  And, if so,
>> how well?  In the outline form, I see you could setup parent-child
>> relationships between tasks.  I'm looking for more of tasks that aren't
>> related, but are dependent on each other.
>>
>> In particular, in a parent-child relationship, you might say "THIS task
>> is done when all of THOSE tasks are done" whereas I'm looking for more
>> of a "THIS task can be started when all of THOSE tasks are done".
>>
>> How would you set this up in Org-Mode?
>
> Maybe what you are looking for is this section
>
>     (info "(org) TODO dependencies")
>
> in the manual.

Oh!  Didn't see that before.  It will take me some time to understand
org-depend.el which, I think, is what I'm looking for.  Thanks.

Hmmm.  That does bring up a question.  Will MobileOrg handle
dependencies in the org-depend sense?

--
David Masterson