* (1) global cycling for numbered lists? (2) adaptive links to list item numbers?
@ 2015-06-04 16:06 Ulva
From: Ulva @ 2015-06-04 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello again,

Two more questions:

(1) S-Tab is very handy to collapse list sublevels globally, but it only
seems to work if the first level of the list is 'bulleted' (*), not if it
consists of numbers. Is this correct, and is there a way around it?

(2) Taking a cue from Insert>Cross-Reference in LibreOffice, suppose I would
like to refer in section (say) 4.1.1 to section 2.1. Something like "As
mentioned in 2.1, frogs are often green". But I would like this "2.1"
reference to update automatically if later the 2.1 content ends up somewhere
else in the document. E.g. if a first-level section is added at the top of
the list and everything else shifts, 4.1.1 becomes 5.1.1 and should update
to "As mentioned in 3.1, frogs are often green". Is this possible in
emacs/org-mode?

Thanks!

PS: /Are/ frogs in fact often green? What are the stats? ;-)

* Re: (1) global cycling for numbered lists? (2) adaptive links to list item numbers?
@ 2015-06-05  7:10 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-06-05  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulva; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Ulva <xiha@laposte.net> writes:

> (1) S-Tab is very handy to collapse list sublevels globally, but it only
> seems to work if the first level of the list is 'bulleted' (*), not if it
> consists of numbers. Is this correct, and is there a way around it?

Note that "bulleted" lists are called headlines, and are very different
from actual plain lists in Org.

You could tweak `org-cycle-include-plain-lists', but I'm not sure it
would lead to the desired effect.

> (2) Taking a cue from Insert>Cross-Reference in LibreOffice, suppose I would
> like to refer in section (say) 4.1.1 to section 2.1. Something like "As
> mentioned in 2.1, frogs are often green". But I would like this "2.1"
> reference to update automatically if later the 2.1 content ends up somewhere
> else in the document. E.g. if a first-level section is added at the top of
> the list and everything else shifts, 4.1.1 becomes 5.1.1 and should update
> to "As mentioned in 3.1, frogs are often green". Is this possible in
> emacs/org-mode?

See (info "(org)Internal links"), in particular last paragraph.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: (1) global cycling for numbered lists? (2) adaptive links to list item numbers?
@ 2015-06-05  7:18 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-06-05  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  4 Jun 2015 at 16:06, Ulva wrote:

[...]

> (2) Taking a cue from Insert>Cross-Reference in LibreOffice, suppose I would
> like to refer in section (say) 4.1.1 to section 2.1. Something like "As
> mentioned in 2.1, frogs are often green". But I would like this "2.1"
> reference to update automatically if later the 2.1 content ends up somewhere
> else in the document. E.g. if a first-level section is added at the top of
> the list and everything else shifts, 4.1.1 becomes 5.1.1 and should update
> to "As mentioned in 3.1, frogs are often green". Is this possible in
> emacs/org-mode?

Use internal targets and link to them:

[[info:org#Internal%20links][info:org#Internal links]]

Basically, the following should work:
#+begin_src org
  ,* test
  <<section-test>>
  Some introductory text
  ,* more stuff
  In this section, we summarise what we saw in [[section-test]].
#+end_src

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-1195-g1a7364