* the role of  org-odt-preferred-output-format etc
@ 2016-04-10 13:00 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-04-10 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Maybe I misunderstood the manual
http://orgmode.org/manual/Extending-ODT-export.html
and
http://orgmode.org/manual/Configuring-a-document-converter.html#Configuring-a-document-converter

I can successfully convert a org file to odt, but sometimes I need it to
be directly in doc format.

So I thought I set org-odt-preferred-output-format
to «doc».

But then what?

Shall I use

org-odt-convert

For example
(org-odt-convert "~/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/cv-libre.odt" "doc")

That did not work

I also checked the variable
org-odt-convert-process

not help.

Any suggestion?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: the role of  org-odt-preferred-output-format etc
@ 2016-04-10 13:22 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> Maybe I misunderstood the manual
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Extending-ODT-export.html
> and
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Configuring-a-document-converter.html#Configuring-a-document-converter
>
> I can successfully convert a org file to odt, but sometimes I need it to
> be directly in doc format.
>
> So I thought I set org-odt-preferred-output-format
> to «doc».

I set that option to the string "rtf", and everything works as expected.
You don't actually specify the preferred output, you just export to ODT,
and then the secondary conversion happens automtically. Ie, I now just
export to ODT, and automatically end up with an RTF file. I haven't
tried that programmatically, but I'd guess it works the same way: just
don't put the "doc" in there at all. Does that work?

@ 2016-04-10 13:41   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-04-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Eric" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> Hello
   >>
   >> Maybe I misunderstood the manual
   >> http://orgmode.org/manual/Extending-ODT-export.html
   >> and
   >> http://orgmode.org/manual/Configuring-a-document-converter.html#Configuring-a-document-converter
   >>
   >> I can successfully convert a org file to odt, but sometimes I need it to
   >> be directly in doc format.
   >>
   >> So I thought I set org-odt-preferred-output-format
   >> to «doc».

   > I set that option to the string "rtf", and everything works as expected.
   > You don't actually specify the preferred output, you just export to ODT,
   > and then the secondary conversion happens automtically. Ie, I now just
   > export to ODT, and automatically end up with an RTF file. I haven't
   > tried that programmatically, but I'd guess it works the same way: just
   > don't put the "doc" in there at all. Does that work?

I made some progress, I tried out docx and it failed I went back to doc
format in in the message buffer, the following lines

Executing soffice --headless --convert-to doc:"MS Word 97" --outdir /home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/ /home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/cv-libre.odt

Export to /home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/cv-libre.doc failed

Indicate that it fails again, but I don't understand why.

I tried rtf and got

Executing soffice --headless --convert-to doc:"MS Word 97" --outdir /home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/ /home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/cv-libre.odt

Export to /home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/cv-libre.doc failed

He also claims that the directory
/home/oub/tex/Proy-MTM-2016/LaTeX-org/rft does not exist. Why the heck
he needs it is beyond me.

What I understand is that he uses soffice, which is the official old
version from my ubuntu version, I have newer versions which I installed
in /opt/libreoffice4.3 and /opt/libreoffice5.1.

How can I tell org to use those?

@ 2016-04-10 15:09     ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2016-04-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I convert to DOC with the following on OS X:

(use-package ox-odt
  :ensure nil
  :config (progn
	    (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "doc")
	    (setq org-odt-convert-processes
		  '(("LibreOffice" "/path/to/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x %i")))))

It fails if LibreOffice is running, but works if it is not running.

  -k.

@ 2016-04-10 15:52       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-04-10 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

>>> "Ken" == Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

    > I convert to DOC with the following on OS X:

    > (use-package ox-odt
    >   :ensure nil
    >   :config (progn
    > 	    (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "doc")
    > 	    (setq org-odt-convert-processes
    > 		  '(("LibreOffice" "/path/to/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x %i")))))

Thanks that works, as far as the setq are concerned, what is use-package
supposed to do, in my GNU emacs 25 I cannot find it.

    > It fails if LibreOffice is running, but works if it is not running.

Ah this is a point, I did not consider, thanks!

* Re: the role of  org-odt-preferred-output-format etc
@ 2016-04-10 16:21         ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2016-04-10 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-04-10 at 11:52, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
> Thanks that works, as far as the setq are concerned, what is use-package
> supposed to do, in my GNU emacs 25 I cannot find it.

https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package

It is a replacement for (require) that takes care of installing dependencies and defers loading. It lets me launch emacs in <2 seconds when my old require-based init.el took ~15.

  -k.

* Re: the role of  org-odt-preferred-output-format etc
@ 2016-04-10 16:30           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-04-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Ken" == Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

   > On 2016-04-10 at 11:52, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
   >> Thanks that works, as far as the setq are concerned, what is use-package
   >> supposed to do, in my GNU emacs 25 I cannot find it.

   > https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package

   > It is a replacement for (require) that takes care of installing
   > dependencies and defers loading. It lets me launch emacs in <2 seconds
   > when my old require-based init.el took ~15.

Oh very cool, but this means I would have to rewrite all my init files,
I leave this for the summer :-D

Uwe

* Re: the role of  org-odt-preferred-output-format etc
@ 2016-04-11  7:56       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-04-11  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> It fails if LibreOffice is running, but works if it is not running.

Did you try unoconv?  Maybe it's more robust...

      http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/unoconv

Rasmus

--
Bang bang

* Re: the role of  org-odt-preferred-output-format etc
@ 2016-04-12  9:30           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-04-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Ken" == Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

   > On 2016-04-10 at 11:52, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
   >> Thanks that works, as far as the setq are concerned, what is use-package
   >> supposed to do, in my GNU emacs 25 I cannot find it.

   > https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package

   > It is a replacement for (require) that takes care of installing
   > dependencies and defers loading. It lets me launch emacs in <2 seconds
   > when my old require-based init.el took ~15.

That looks very interesting. I have a .emacs file which loads either my
xemacs init files or my GNU emacs init files. In order to benefit from
use-package can I keep this structure or must I delete the xemacs stuff
and put the use-package syntax directly in that file and byte compile
it?