* Potential feature request – more automatic updating of cookies
@ 2016-07-27 20:21 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto @ 2016-07-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Paste the following in an Org buffer:
* Cookie_a [0/0]
* TODO Dummy_a
* Cookie_b [0/1]
** TODO Dummy_b

Within that buffer:
   1. Move point to the line of Dummy_a.
   2. <M-right>
I wished the cookie to be updated to [0/1] but it is not.

Then:
   1. Move point to the line of Dummy_b.
   2. C-c C-x C-w
   3. Move point to the line of Dummy_a at column 0.
   4. C-c C-x C-y
I wished both cookies to be updated.  They are not.

The manual [[info:org#Checkboxes][says]]:
    Checkbox statistic cookies are updated automatically if you toggle
    checkboxes with `C-c C-c' and make new ones with `M-S-<RET>'.  TODO
    statistics cookies update when changing TODO states.  If you delete
    boxes/entries or add/change them by hand, use this command to get things
    back into sync.

Should I request the feature of Org automatically updating cookies when using
structure editing commands such as C-c C-x C-w, C-c C-x C-y, <M-left>,
<M-right> and friends?  Would it be worth the development cost?  I
unfortunately cannot develop it myself.

The point is that C-u C-c # (to update cookies in the entire buffer) takes
long enough that I only call it a few times per week.  This means that cookies
can get out of sync.  Then I try to remember manually invoking C-c # on the
relevant line every time it goes out of sync, but I sometimes omit it.

I figured I should discuss this in the mailing list before submitting a bug
report with org-submit-bug-report.

Regards

--
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.

* Re: Potential feature request – more automatic updating of cookies
@ 2016-07-29  3:53 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-07-29  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <jorge13515@gmail.com> writes:

> Should I request the feature of Org automatically updating cookies when using
> structure editing commands such as C-c C-x C-w, C-c C-x C-y, <M-left>,
> <M-right> and friends?  Would it be worth the development cost?  I
> unfortunately cannot develop it myself.

Hi Jorge,

It might be enough to advise a few functions to call
org-update-statistics-cookies, e.g.:

(advice-add 'org-cut-special :after 'org-update-statistics-cookies)

* Re: Potential feature request – more automatic updating of cookies
@ 2016-08-17 19:05   ` Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2016-08-17 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: org mode

[Now sending to the whole list]
On 29 July 2016 at 00:53, Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
> It might be enough to advise a few functions to call
> org-update-statistics-cookies, e.g.:
>
> (advice-add 'org-cut-special :after 'org-update-statistics-cookies)

I haven't yet studied the advice feature.  I'll look into it.  But is
not the proposed feature (more automatic updating of cookies)
important enough that there should be a very quick way to enable it?
I think it should be a user option (that is, a customizable variable).

--
- I am Brazilian.  I apologize for possibly bad English and I welcome
corrections.

* Re: Potential feature request – more automatic updating of cookies
@ 2016-09-17 19:34     ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-09-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jorge <jorge13515@gmail.com> writes:

> [Now sending to the whole list]
> On 29 July 2016 at 00:53, Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
>> It might be enough to advise a few functions to call
>> org-update-statistics-cookies, e.g.:
>>
>> (advice-add 'org-cut-special :after 'org-update-statistics-cookies)
>
> I haven't yet studied the advice feature.  I'll look into it.  But is
> not the proposed feature (more automatic updating of cookies)
> important enough that there should be a very quick way to enable it?
> I think it should be a user option (that is, a customizable variable).

Sounds to me like it might be a good idea.  :)